Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Buying Marriott Vacation Club Resale

Apr 07, 2007

What are the pro's and con's of buying a Marriott TS from a private party?

Daniel M.
Apr 08, 2007

Buying resale is the way to go, but make sure you're getting a decent resale deal. You can save yourself a lot of money by doing so.

By buying from the developer you may get a few perks that you won't get with a resale, but those perks are not worth the amount you will pay over a resale.

R P.
Apr 15, 2007

What documentation would support the availability of a resale unit for a given year. If we were to buy resale today, how could we confirm it is available for 07 use before we close the deal (can the seller confirm with written documentation)?

Also, with resales, are the Marriott points re-banked as with new purchases? Thanks for this and any other insights you can provide. Dan

Dan C.
Apr 23, 2007

Last I checked, if you buy from someone other than marriott, you do NOT have the ability to bank your week and get Marriott points. That being said, you could rent it out and not worry about the points or do an direct exchange, but no points for the point junkies.

Lawrence

danielm144 wrote:
What are the pro's and con's of buying a Marriott TS from a private party?

Lawrence H.
May 09, 2007

jayjay wrote:
Buying resale is the way to go, but make sure you're getting a decent resale deal. You can save yourself a lot of money by doing so.

By buying from the developer you may get a few perks that you won't get with a resale, but those perks are not worth the amount you will pay over a resale.

Better yet, buy your resale through Marriott - Marriott sells resales for Marriott owners - and get both the benefit of a lower price as well as the benefits that Marriott offers such as banking for points in lieu of exchanging your week for another resort. Buying this way gets you priority trading power when exchanging to another Marriott resort. For example, we own a Marriott summer week and we love to ski so we have consistently exchanged our summer week for a ski week which typically sell for considerably more than a summer week. This is because a Marriott owner jumps to the head of the line for exchange purposes when you buy a resell through Marriott. We recently exchanged our week for points and went to a Hawaii Marriott during the whaling season!

Carvan A.
May 10, 2007

Does anyone know what sort of price you'd pay for a Marriott resale through Marriott vs. getting it outside of Marriott? The points are great (I'm a Marriott owner with well over a million points which I'll use someday), but getting a great deal is preferable in my mind. I ealize this would vary by TS, by season, locale of the unit, etc., but in general does anyone know whether Marriott generally charges 50% of what the unit originally sold for, 33% or ???

Kathi L.
Jul 01, 2007

Marriott does not sell "resale" units at a lower cost any longer. They do sell resales but charge the current sale price as if it were from a developer. It is the only way to get the Marriott points for a timeshare property. Marriott points do not transfer with a resale outside of Marriott transaction.

L M.
May 20, 2008

jayjay wrote:

Marriott has first right of refusal on all weeks being resold. With that being said, Marriott picks up most units that are being offered below current Market value. Therefore, you can begin a purchase and once it goes across the Marriott desk to be signed off on, you risk the chance of not getting it.

Alway purchase thru Marriott as this entitles you to the point program and Marriott will resell it for you down the road and service your account. Buying externally opens you up for disappointments down the road. This does not hold true for off brand timeshares but with Marriott, the point program is what makes us!

Lynn Galligan

Ann C.

Last edited by astephens on Feb 10, 2010 09:11 AM

Jun 22, 2008

I find it ironic that when you go to TS presentations, the sales person really touts all the benefits of owning, including the ability to sell. But when you go to sell, you can't sell the same product you bought. The same value isn't there for the person buying resale, ( ie.. the ability to use points ). Talk about a one sided business.

Jesse C.
Jun 22, 2008

jessec18 wrote:
I find it ironic that when you go to TS presentations, the sales person really touts all the benefits of owning, including the ability to sell. But when you go to sell, you can't sell the same product you bought. The same value isn't there for the person buying resale, ( ie.. the ability to use points ). Talk about a one sided business.
You certainly can sell the deeded real estate. However; the points program is a privilege and benefit that is offered by Marriott to those who buy thru Marriott. However; it is not a deeded right and thus can not be transferred. Marriott has a full resale program and will sell your week at the going rate and they offer incentives and benefits to those who purchase it.

Ann C.
Jun 22, 2008

ann286 wrote:
jessec18 wrote:

" Marriott has a full resale program and will sell your week at the going rate and they offer incentives and benefits to those who purchase it."

Your statement is correct but what you don't mention is that Marriott will charge you a commission of 40% to "sell your week at the going rate". Apparently many Marriott owners find this commission to be too steep a price to pay as there are hundreds of Marriott resales listed by owner on Redweek and other sites. I was a Marriott owner at Streamside Vail and sold my unit on Redweek. There is a long time listing on Redweek for a ski week at Streamside Vail in the Evergreen Bldg (newest and best) and it is listed at $21,000. Marriott will sell this same unit (resale) for $35,900. As a buyer, I would much prefer to forego the 110,000 Marriott points to save almost $15,000.

Marriott points are nice and we recently exchanged 110,000 points for a 5 day stay in a Maui 5 star Marriott Hotel but cash is better so my next Marriott timeshare purchase will probably be from an owner listing on Redweek for a substantial cash savings.

Carvan A.
Jun 22, 2008

Hey! Why was my post deleted?

Peter C.
Jun 23, 2008

mnop wrote:
Hey! Why was my post deleted?

You were sent an email on Saturday explaining why your postings were deleted. I have resent you the email.

Thank you, Marty

Marty F
Jun 23, 2008

I think my basic question was about how a resale Marriott owner exchanges thur II. The direct purchase owner is allowed to view Marriott exchange deposits for 24 days from the deposit date before non-Marriott owners are able to see the deposit. Is a resale Marriott owner treated like "other II members" who do not see Marriott deposits for their first 24 days, or do Marriott resale owners immediately see Marriott deposits like Marriott direct purchase owners?

Peter C.
Jun 23, 2008

mnop wrote:
I think my basic question was about how a resale Marriott owner exchanges thur II. The direct purchase owner is allowed to view Marriott exchange deposits for 24 days from the deposit date before non-Marriott owners are able to see the deposit. Is a resale Marriott owner treated like "other II members" who do not see Marriott deposits for their first 24 days, or do Marriott resale owners immediately see Marriott deposits like Marriott direct purchase owners?

I have owned both Marriott timeshares purchased from Marriott at developer price and Marriott resales purchased from individuals. The resales received the same 24 day priority with II as do those purchased from Marriott. There have been rumors on Redweek posts that Marriott would discontinue this 24 day priority for resales but it has not happened. The only disadvantage to buying resale is that you do not have the option to trade your week for Marriott points. Anything can change and you should independently verify the question with Marriott prior to pulling the trigger on a resale purchase. The 24 day priority is a big deal and it helped us consistently trade Marriott Streamside Vail summer weeks for the higher demand Marriott ski weeks.

Carvan A.

Last edited by carvana on Jun 23, 2008 03:40 PM

Jun 23, 2008

carvana wrote:
mnop wrote:

I have owned both Marriott timeshares purchased from Marriott at developer price and Marriott resales purchased from individuals. The resales received the same 24 day priority with II as do those purchased from Marriott. There have been rumors on Redweek posts that Marriott would discontinue this 24 day priority for resales but it has not happened. The only disadvantage to buying resale is that you do not have the option to trade your week for Marriott points. Anything can change and you should independently verify the question with Marriott prior to pulling the trigger on a resale purchase. The 24 day priority is a big deal and it helped us consistently trade Marriott Streamside Vail summer weeks for the higher demand Marriott ski weeks.

Anything can change and will as Marriott continues to take control of the resale Market. If you buy externally, you can never sell it thru Marriott, you can never exchange it for points plus you are listed as an external owner which gets you limited help and assistance. Furthermore,Marriott has first right of refusal, meaning if you purchase a week and think you are getting such a great deal...those contracts go across corporate Marriott's desk and they reserve the right to purchase that week at that price you are buying it for and several owners have lost out because Marriott has taken those weeks back and sold them for full price thru Marriott. This has been happening on hot ski weeks and on their ocean front locations.

Ann C.
Jun 24, 2008

ann286 wrote:
carvana wrote:
mnop wrote:

Anything can change and will as Marriott continues to take control of the resale Market. If you buy externally, you can never sell it thru Marriott, you can never exchange it for points plus you are listed as an external owner which gets you limited help and assistance. Furthermore,Marriott has first right of refusal, meaning if you purchase a week and think you are getting such a great deal...those contracts go across corporate Marriott's desk and they reserve the right to purchase that week at that price you are buying it for and several owners have lost out because Marriott has taken those weeks back and sold them for full price thru Marriott. This has been happening on hot ski weeks and on their ocean front locations.

Ann,

You speak with such authority that it suggests to me that you are a Marriott sales representative or at the very least a shill for Marriott as your post sounds just like the pitch we hear every year at Hilton Head when we agree to a sales presentration in return for 10,000 Marriott points!

You start by saying that "anything can change" and then contradict yourself by saying "you can never" twice.

How can you say an owner has "lost out" when Marriott under their FROR pays the seller (owner) the sales price he/she has agreed to with a third party. Possibly, the owner's selling price is greater than he/she would have received had Marriott sold the property for him/her less the 40% commission. Think about it. All the seller cares about is getting his price. He doesn't care whether Marriott buys it or a third party buys it. Truth be known. and you as a Marrott insider know this, Marriott seldom exercises their ROFR and does so only when it is a bargain purchase in a desirable season at a ski or ocean resort.

Lastly, as a Marriot owner I am pleased to hear from someone purporting to be an authority that Marriott is taking control of the resale market. That is what is needed in the timeshare industry and hopefully more developers will follow suit. Now, Marriott can really do a great thing if they take the next step and repurchase timeshares from unhappy owners who are unable to sell through Marrott and/or the resale market. Maybe, If you are high enough up the Marriott food chain, you can make this happen!

Carvan A.

Last edited by carvana on Jun 24, 2008 03:41 PM

Jun 24, 2008

carvana wrote:
ann286 wrote:
carvana wrote:
mnop wrote:

Ann,

You speak with such authority that it suggests to me that you are a Marriott sales representative or at the very least a shill for Marriott as your post sounds just like the pitch we hear every year at Hilton Head when we agree to a sales presentration in return for 10,000 Marriott points!

You start by saying that "anything can change" and then contradict yourself by saying "you can never" twice.

How can you say an owner has "lost out" when Marriott under their FROR pays the seller (owner) the sales price he/she has agreed to with a third party. Possibly, the owner's selling price is greater than he/she would have received had Marriott sold the property for him/her less the 40% commission. Think about it. All the seller cares about is getting his price. He doesn't care whether Marriott buys it or a third party buys it. Truth be known. and you as a Marrott insider know this, Marriott seldom exercises their ROFR and does so only when it is a bargain purchase in a desirable season at a ski or ocean resort.

Lastly, as a Marriot owner I am pleased to hear from someone purporting to be an authority that Marriott is taking control of the resale market. That is what is needed in the timeshare industry and hopefully more developers will follow suit. Now, Marriott can really do a great thing if they take the next step and repurchase timeshares from unhappy owners who are unable to sell through Marrott and/or the resale market. Maybe, If you are high enough up the Marriott food chain, you can make this happen!

Carvana,

I am an owner of two Marriott Timeshares since 1992 on Hilton Head. I grew up vacationing with Marriott timeshares since the beginning. I apologize for the misunderstanding when I typed up that the owner is disappointed...I meant the "owner" who was trying to buy and end up losing it to Marriott who buys it by FROF. Marriott does indeed exercise this option and does this often on the ski weeks as well as the ocean weeks. It happened to a girlfriend of mine who was buying a week at Grande Ocean and Marriott purchased it out from under her. She was excited to be getting a deal and it obviously was at the right price because Marriott purchased it directly from the seller.

I am not looking to have a heated discussion on whether you should buy resale or new...I am just sharing with you what I know is happening and what you can and can not do. I think everyone should own timeshare and should buy what they can afford and mostly importantly they should use it! Happy vacationing!

Ann C.
Jun 25, 2008

ann286 wrote:
carvana wrote:
ann286 wrote:
carvana wrote:
mnop wrote:

Ann,

Carvana,

I am an owner of two Marriott Timeshares since 1992 on Hilton Head. I grew up vacationing with Marriott timeshares since the beginning. I apologize for the misunderstanding when I typed up that the owner is disappointed...I meant the "owner" who was trying to buy and end up losing it to Marriott who buys it by FROF. Marriott does indeed exercise this option and does this often on the ski weeks as well as the ocean weeks. It happened to a girlfriend of mine who was buying a week at Grande Ocean and Marriott purchased it out from under her. She was excited to be getting a deal and it obviously was at the right price because Marriott purchased it directly from the seller.

I am not looking to have a heated discussion on whether you should buy resale or new...I am just sharing with you what I know is happening and what you can and can not do. I think everyone should own timeshare and should buy what they can afford and mostly importantly they should use it! Happy vacationing!

============== If Marriott exercises its ROFR, can the owner refusing Marriott's "offer" and going back to the original buyer and ask for more $$. Maybe an extra thousand or so from the buyer will be enough to stop Marriott from the ROFR.

IMO, Marriott's (and others) practice of ROFR borders on unethical. They "hang around" like vultures waiting for the undervalued sale. Then they will buy a unit for below market value, then double (maybe triple) the price, and resell. If ROFR is exercised, Marriott should at least offer a price closer to THEIR market value.

A better system would be for the owner to be able to offer it to Marriott first, BEFORE listing it on the open market.

Mike N.
Jun 25, 2008

ann286 wrote:
carvana wrote:
ann286 wrote:
carvana wrote:
mnop wrote:

Ann,

Carvana,

I agree with all your points! I think in retrospect that I was too argumentative in my post.

Carvan A.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.