General Discussion

Deeded vs. Right to use?

Jul 31, 2007

judithp37 wrote:
dear jayjay and ken...no war of the worlds. you both have given sound and supportive imput.I appreciate it and take no offense. go back to your corners and shake hands. you all are of great worth

=== Bless you, Judith!

Mary D.
Jul 31, 2007

I don't know where the Beachboy resort is located, but if it is in Mexico, all the resorts seem to be "right to use", at least for non-Mexican citizens. We are not allowed to own beachfront land. MD

Mary D.
Aug 12, 2007

It is confusing. In the Caribbean, the properties are usually built on leased land. Pelican in ST. Maarten is unusual in that the land was bought for the resort when the developer went bankrupt and is all owned by the timeshare owners. At Royal Palm, the land is leased so we own leasehold titles to the resort, and have the right of unit ownership usually until 2099. I have Marriott at Ford's Colony, where I own a fraction of the land and pay real estate taxes, and do have a land title as well as a leasehold for a resort unit that is forever while the building stands, then I own part of a parcel of land with alot of other people....LOL!

Q=melindag12] Call me dumb, but we own at the Beachboy and thought we were deeded owners. Yet, we see listings here as "Right to Use" and then were told today by another timeshare company that our points at the Beachboy were not really deeded to us (but are Right to Use). Can someone enlighten us on this?

Deborah M S.
Aug 13, 2007

In Mexico, non-citizens cannot own coastal land. In-land is OK so there may be some Mexican resorts away from the coastal areas that are deeded. However, the "right to use" can be willed to our chidren or, I suppose, whoever we please if there are no children. At Mayan Palace you have the right for 25 years and it can be renewed. If you make some change to your contract, the 25 years starts again from scratch. As far as a renter is concerned, it should not matter one way or the other. They want to use it, not take it home. MD

Mary D.
May 18, 2009

In Mexico, there is no deeded contract in the timeshare industry. they claim to say they are deeded just to get you to buy it. they even might to convince you that even though it is a right of use, you can renew it when it expires. that is a lie. you have to buy another timeshare if you want to continue with the benefits.

You have been scammed.

Amber T.
May 22, 2009

I believe deeded timeshare contracts are illegal now in Spain. New contracts have to be right to use and for a limited time (not sure if it's 25 or 30 years). Just as well, as new escrituras are a pain to organise and very expensive (involving a gestoria, notaria, and various different taxmen) - it costs much more than most timeshares are worth.

David D.
Jan 12, 2010

Deeded or Right to use, can we sell the week and the weeks we have saved?

John G.
Jan 13, 2010

johng851 wrote:
Deeded or Right to use, can we sell the week and the weeks we have saved?

What do you mean can you sell the weeks you have saved .... please explain ????

R P.
Jan 13, 2010

I have two weeks saved or banked, I would like to sell them. I was woundering if it makes a difference if their Deeded or Right to use. I should be able to sell them?

John G.
Jan 13, 2010

johng851 wrote:
I have two weeks saved or banked, I would like to sell them. I was woundering if it makes a difference if their Deeded or Right to use. I should be able to sell them?

If you are speaking of the big 2 exchange companies, it's against RCI and II's rules and regulations to sell banked weeks .... deeded or right to use doesn't matter. The best use you can get out of those weeks is to exchange them.

R P.
Jan 13, 2010

jayjay wrote:
...it's against RCI and II's rules and regulations to sell banked weeks...
I have no idea what "johng851" meant by using the word "saved" in his post, but a "spacebanked" (i.e. deposited, for example with RCI) week CAN INDEED be transferred over to a buyer in the course of a SALE, just as long as the buyer ALSO already has his/her own RCI account into which to transfer that "deposit". Like everything else involving RCI however, there is of course a fee to effect such any such "transfer" of a deposited week from one RCI account into another RCI account. That "RCI deposit transfer" fee was $75.00 per transfer several years ago; it's likely considerably more than that amount now.

This is NOT to suggest or in any way remotely imply that a deposited week can ever simply be "SOLD" on its' own as a "stand alone" item. It most certainly CANNOT --- not under ANY circumstances.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 14, 2010 04:35 AM

Jan 14, 2010

Ken is indeed correct that you can transfer a banked week to the buyer of a timeshare that's for sale .... I just assumed he was speaking of outright selling a banked week which is a no-no .

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jan 14, 2010 08:09 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.