The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Ocean view vs. island view?

Nov 07, 2006

Is the view at this resort anything that you can count on? Or are all placement decisions done at the check-in desk?

How do you acquire the best locations when renting?

Randy C.
Nov 16, 2006

randy wrote:
Is the view at this resort anything that you can count on? Or are all placement decisions done at the check-in desk?

How do you acquire the best locations when renting?

Island View in the existing villas gives you a view of the mountains, or parking lot if you are on the ground floor. The island views in the north property will face the pool and koi ponds and should be better when it opens in July/August 2007

If you crave an good ocean view....

Ocean Front is a guaranteed Ocean Front, they cost more, but if Sunets on the Lanai are a high priority, then go for the extra costs. They have bigger Lanai's too. The Ocean View locations are determined by first come first serve on when reservations are made. There can be quite a difference between the Ocean Views towards the beach side of the property and the Ocean views towards the lobby. Ocean View units on the north side have been a problem because they faced an empty lot and now construction. The new north property will open in July/August 2007 so those rooms should soon have good views. Owners of the resort get to reserve 8-12 months ahead. Starwood owners from other resorts can reserve 8 months or less ahead. You also get RCI people reserving and people reserving via the hotel. From my understanding, Maui owners have first priority because they can reserve 8-12 months in advance, next priority is Starwood owners from other resorts, then RCI, then hotel. Good Ocean views are not guaranteed, so you could have a battle when you arrive. So, when you buy from someone, make sure you ask them when the reservation was made. For those with floating times, keep in mind that you will get less of a priority for a good ocean view if the reservation is made with less than 8 months notice. I have multiple units in Maui and in Scottsdale and rent out some of them. I reserve the Maui units 1 year in advance at 8am and when I exchange the Scottsdale units for Maui, I reserve 8 months in advance at 8am. So far, I have been able to get good rooms even with my Scottsdale exchanges.

Don S.
Nov 17, 2006

That's great help.... Thanks!

Randy C.
Nov 19, 2006

great post Thank you for all the info. It really helped Mary

Mary W.
Nov 20, 2006

Just a note, we have a Ocean View Villa and love it! However my husband LOVES our partial view of the mountains as well, especially at sunrise (and if you are not from the islands you WILL be up by sunrise)...think Jurrasic Park! If you are above the 2nd floor you can't lose! Even then it's a great place with lovely people.

Aloha, Kathy

Kathy A.
Dec 02, 2006

hi, Im here right now! We are in 2602 which means that we are in the very back of building 3, but I am happy with the view. It looks like anything below floor 4 has a view that is blocked by some of the palm trees. We did a pre- check in at 11:30 and they said they would call us when it was ready but they never did, so at 4 we enquired and got checked in. It really does depend on when the owner of the timeshare made their booking. Our friends are directly below us paying more with less than a view and are not that happy about it....but it seems like its all somewhat of a gamble as far as rooms. I am plenty happy with the room however and have only really spent a few minutes so far looking at the water. I will spend more time on the deck when my daughter naps during the day, but so far the rooms are way more than I expected....they are huge and beautifully done!! Hope this helps anyone whos still deciding....go fo it, they are beautiful rooms (even though its currently pouring down rain).

Summyr W.
Dec 02, 2006

opps I meant we are in 3602.

Summyr W.
Dec 28, 2006

There are 4 views in fact. Ocean Front, Deluxe, Ocean View and Island View. If a reservation is made timely, 12 to 8 months prior to arrival, then you are able to reserve what you own. Each building is rectangle with the ocean front and deluxe rooms being the closest to the water. The prices are all related to proximity to the water and the view. Each building is 6 stories and there are three of them. Only two of the three buildings is adjacent to the water. Therefore, only 12 suites are ocean front and 24 are deluxe. The remainder are ocean view and island view.

Brian B.
Jan 04, 2007

brianb192 wrote:
There are 4 views in fact. Ocean Front, Deluxe, Ocean View and Island View. If a reservation is made timely, 12 to 8 months prior to arrival, then you are able to reserve what you own. Each building is rectangle with the ocean front and deluxe rooms being the closest to the water. The prices are all related to proximity to the water and the view. Each building is 6 stories and there are three of them. Only two of the three buildings is adjacent to the water. Therefore, only 12 suites are ocean front and 24 are deluxe. The remainder are ocean view and island view.

I thought there are 24 ocean front units, 12 per building, 2 columns of 6 floors per building.

A B.
Jan 05, 2007

tb66 wrote:
brianb192 wrote:

I thought there are 24 ocean front units, 12 per building, 2 columns of 6 floors per building.

Each ocean facing building has 12 suites available for purchase; Each a two bedroom lockoff. Within each two bedroom lockoff are a one bedroom and a studio. Each is available for rental to the owner or guests individually, but cannot be purchased in part. Their deed is for a two bedroom.

Brian B.
Jan 05, 2007

To clarify just a little more. The Ocean Front units are pretty much the same layout and size as the ocean views - 1400 square feet, although the lanai's are much larger. The master bedroom, the living room and the studio all face the ocean. There are 6 of these in each building. On the Ocean Front Delux, these units are on the front coners of each building. The Mater bedroom and living room face the ocean while the studio faces a side. These units are bigger - 1700-1800 sq feet, although some of that space is used up in a hallway. There are 12 of these units per building. Two of the buildings face the ocean so the numbers above double.

Don S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.