Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Has anyone ever been scammed using redweek?

Jul 08, 2019

nancyb1050 wrote:
Because of this, Redweek.com is a terrible place to list your timeshare.

I had a unit for sale and listed it on a few different resale websites. The one that got me a buyer was RedWeek. So, in my opinion, RedWeek is good place to list your timeshare.

Lance C.
Jul 09, 2019

Hello Nancy, I"m Lorna, Full Service Manager for RedWeek.com. We regret to hear you are not satisfied with our service. In reviewing your inquiry request, I see the agent replied within 2 days which is the time we ask to allow for a reply since the bulk of the communication is done via email. The agent replied she will call the next day. Unfortunately, before she called you the next day, the owner of the week you were interested in confirmed their week was no longer for sale and to please take it off the market. The agent then replied to you to advise you the week was no longer for sale . Please note, our agents do call buyers and sellers when a call in requested. Unfortunately, in your case, the agent replied via email after learning the week was no longer available. We apologize for the inconvenience and we hope you can give us the opportunity to better serve you. Thanks, Lorna.

Lorna Q.
RedWeek.com
Jul 13, 2019

You got your stay at a beatiful resort. Owner may have mislead you a little about the room but it is difficult to be totally scammed in redweek, unlike other places like ebay etc.

Gary M Roberson
Aug 10, 2019

I’m currently on vacation at a wonderful resort on the Oregon coast. I rented it from an owner on Redweek. This was the first time I used it, and I’ve had a great experience!

Shanna K.
Aug 11, 2019

Hmmm..I read these posts but have to say we had an exactly opposite experience. We sold a 1 bedroom Maui Ocean club through Redweek. We got 3 total offers. Yes, we took a big financial hit and knew it was going to happen but we got out from under our maintenance fee and 1 bedroom unit. Redweek communication was outstanding and the deal was completed quickly. Marriott ended up exercising first right of refusal.

Secondly, we rented a week through Redweek into a 2bedroom at the Ocean Club, had nothing but great communication from Redweek and the owner.

Sorry to hear your experience was not great but I had asked several questions of owners renting and selling and always get fast responses. In my opinion Redweek is offering an amazing service, making it much easier to buy and sell timeshares.

J D.
Oct 06, 2019

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I own two villas at Ocean Watch and occasionally rent one or both out.

I noticed a mistake in your writing. There are only 5 buildings with villas, not 6. Pine and Maple are the two in the back.

We have been owners since 1995 and own two villas at OW and two at The Manor Club in Williamsburg, Va.

If you haven’t been to W’burg I highly recommend it.

Wayne D.

Last edited by phyl21 on Oct 06, 2019 08:37 AM

Oct 22, 2019

Will a vacation resort actually confirm who the owner is, when asked to do so by a prospective renter?

Mike M.
Oct 22, 2019

Probably not due to privacy issues .

Don P.
Oct 23, 2019

No. We have purchased from Red Week. A Realtor was representing the seller and it was a smooth transaction. We have friends rent from Red Week all the time. We think it is a great site. Jan

Jan

Last edited by janisb33 on Oct 23, 2019 06:40 PM

Dec 16, 2019

I have bought 2 properties thru Redweek and had a very good experience with them. I have also rented my week through them. Would recommend them to anyone. Yes it takes time and yes many emails but also phone calls. Don’t be afraid of them and use them. If you are spending “thousands “ on a timeshare then you are spending to much. So many good ones to be had for pennies on the dollar. Only downside to this is some resorts “Brand” you as a “Resale” and may treat you differently. Fight it...

Bradley D.
Jan 18, 2020

Hi I am using RedWeek for first time to rent a week and I thought I’d get a confirmation from Redweek but , the Marriott sent me a confirmation and a thanks for booking directly with us email? It also had an additional guest named Mary Gillies in the reservation? Is this the way it’s usually done? Seems odd...

Leigh A.

Last edited by leigha142 on Jan 18, 2020 07:44 AM

Jan 18, 2020

Book the villas that are Redweek verified I am a owner at the Marriott Aruba Surf Club I pay extra for Redweek to verify that I own the villa and I have a reserved villa They take 10 business days to verify my rental They guarantee it for the renter Only way to rent

Maureen M.
Jan 19, 2020

Nancy B. Would you mind sharing who you eventually found and purchased your Timeshare/RTU properties?

nancyb1050 wrote:
I would never use Redweek.com if I were a seller. I came at this from a different angle... as a buyer attempting to buy several timeshares. Redweek.com posted three timeshares for sale. I made the faulty assumption of thinking that when I made the inquiry, someone woudl call me back. How wrong I was!!! Tried as I might to get these folks to talk to me and get a deal going, none of the sales reps would return my phone calls or emails. I can't even begin to explain how bad this company is. Thankfullly there are other companies out there that actually like customers and believe in engaging in conversations. I was able to move on and purchase the timeshares I wanted from a different real estate agent who was knowledgable and cared! She did a great job of representing the sellers and helping me to get the price I was looking for.

The deal with Redweek.com is that they don't like people and only like email transactions. For most of us spending thousands on timeshares, we actually want to talk to a real person and ask some questions before closing a deal. Redweek.com does not like that. They just want you to buy online and forget the details. Because of this, Redweek.com is a terrible place to list your timeshare. Most buyers are not interested in putting thousands on their credit card on a wing and a prayer.

Leisa F.
Jan 28, 2020

I feel I've had! I have had full service membership for over year! Not one person has shown interest! It is at Windward Hyatt Resort, with annual time, week 4, and facing the ocean. I even came down on price.I am thoroughly disgusted.

Patricia L.
Jan 29, 2020

I have successfully bought, sold, rented (and rented out) timeshares on RedWeek many (20 or so) times over about the past decade. RedWeek is a truly great site and maybe even the best in existence anywhere to accomplish any or all of those above identified specific objectives.

I don't think that you can blame the RedWeek site when (just as a specific example which I've encountered many times, including several times just this past week), the selling (or renting) owner doesn't even really know or fully understand important details of what they own in the first place and consequently cannot provide the RedWeek brokers / agents (if it's a "full service" listing) with complete, accurate and detailed information. Can you blame a broker or agent when the owner says (just for an analogy) "I want you to sell my Chevy for me" (without ever accurately identifying the year, model, color, mileage or condition of the vehicle)? It's very frustrating for everyone involved. Of course, It doesn't help matters when the agent or broker is also completely unfamiliar with (and therefore clueless about) the important and relevant details of a particular advertised timeshare's system, so sometimes no one associated with a particular ad really even has any idea what they are talking about! In fairness however, no one can possibly know everything about all systems in the convoluted and complex world of "Planet Timeshare".

Any and every timeshare-related web site has its' own inherent shortcomings and limitations. My own personal history and experience (after 35+ years now of timeshare involvement) has me very firmly believe that TUG (Timeshare Users Group) is absolutely the best site in existence for obtaining well informed shared timeshare knowledge and experience (these RedWeek forums are really quite lame by comparison) but RedWeek is the very best site in existence anywhere for buying, selling, renting (or renting out) timeshares.

Just my own personal opinion, based upon several decades of direct, first hand experience and ongoing observation. Your mileage may vary.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 29, 2020 04:34 PM

Feb 10, 2020

I'm new to this site. I've had a timeshare in Palm Springs (Marriott Desert Villas) for over 25 years and never use it (shame on me). Finally heard about this site and need to rent out my week for April. Do you suggest doing the $59 agreement? Many thanks.

Barbara E.
Feb 12, 2020

Just a question on selling timeshares through Redweek. On average, how long from sale listing origination until the final sale did it take for you to sell any of your weekly timeshares? Thanks, Frank

Frank S.
Feb 12, 2020

franks207 wrote:
Just a question on selling timeshares through Redweek. On average, how long from sale listing origination until the final sale did it take for you to sell any of your weekly timeshares? Thanks, Frank

There is no "average". It depends entirely upon the resort, location, season or week and price of the specific timeshare you seek to sell. I have sold desirable intervals within a week or two (although the "closing" process always takes time to complete --- additional weeks, sometimes a month or more). Understand and accept that resorts / weeks / locations / seasons that have no real demand may never sell. Some can't even be given away for free. Sad, but true.

Simply stated, there is no "average" and no "one size fits all" answer to your question, for the reasons stated above; the devil is in the details. That said, I believe that RedWeek is the best site available on which to advertise (for either selling or renting), but you must be realistic about the desirability, demand and market value of whatever it is that you have to offer. Remember, that although this may be very difficult to accept, no one cares one bit what you paid for whatever you own; that is completely irrelevant information. All a prospective buyers cares about (understandably and justifiably) is the best price at which they can buy that same timeshare in the open resale market today.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 14, 2020 06:07 AM

Mar 05, 2020

I have rented units on Redweek a couple times.....and have rented out our extra weeks several times.🌞 If you use a contract and ask to be paid via PayPal, it works out really well. We own a lot of points so I can get a reservation well ahead of the crowd if I know the dates in advance. I used the contract template Redweek suggests and always wait till I am paid in full before I change the name on my reservation to the Renters name. I then let them call Welk Resorts, and request the area/room they want. Never had any complaints!👍😍

Joy L.
Mar 05, 2020

Good info!! 👍 Have you used TUG to rent out any of your weeks? Redweek is getting a bit crowded. I've tried using Facebook Market place and have gotten some interest but not like on Redweek. Any other ideas where to post those weeks one ends up not using? Have you tried VRBO or Airbnb?

ken1193 wrote:
I have successfully bought, sold, rented (and rented out) timeshares on RedWeek many (20 or so) times over about the past decade. RedWeek is a truly great site and maybe even the best in existence anywhere to accomplish any or all of those above identified specific objectives.

I don't think that you can blame the RedWeek site when (just as a specific example which I've encountered many times, including several times just this past week), the selling (or renting) owner doesn't even really know or fully understand important details of what they own in the first place and consequently cannot provide the RedWeek brokers / agents (if it's a "full service" listing) with complete, accurate and detailed information. Can you blame a broker or agent when the owner says (just for an analogy) "I want you to sell my Chevy for me" (without ever accurately identifying the year, model, color, mileage or condition of the vehicle)? It's very frustrating for everyone involved. Of course, It doesn't help matters when the agent or broker is also completely unfamiliar with (and therefore clueless about) the important and relevant details of a particular advertised timeshare's system, so sometimes no one associated with a particular ad really even has any idea what they are talking about! In fairness however, no one can possibly know everything about all systems in the convoluted and complex world of "Planet Timeshare".

Any and every timeshare-related web site has its' own inherent shortcomings and limitations. My own personal history and experience (after 35+ years now of timeshare involvement) has me very firmly believe that TUG (Timeshare Users Group) is absolutely the best site in existence for obtaining well informed shared timeshare knowledge and experience (these RedWeek forums are really quite lame by comparison) but RedWeek is the very best site in existence anywhere for buying, selling, renting (or renting out) timeshares.

Just my own personal opinion, based upon several decades of direct, first hand experience and ongoing observation. Your mileage may vary.

Joy L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.