The Manhattan Club

Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Oct 17, 2015

Hello Fellow MC "Owners"

In reading over the comments on the Redweek website I get a whiff of the frustration we all feel. But, sorry to say, it sounds like an echo chamber. We are talking to ourselves. Until we can really get together as a group we will get nowhere. How many other frustrated and angry "owners"are out there and as upset as we are? . How can we find out? It seems to me that, to begin with at the very least, we must be able to email each other. We "owners" are scattered nationally and world wide. Addressing this outrage individually is a wasted effort. A petition of several dozen names or several hundred or, even, who knows, a thousand or more is a different matter. It will get attention. I have offered my email address (leoyesleo@gmai.com) in earler comments on this website and have heard from nobody. Why?

Leo S.
Oct 17, 2015

When I bought my timeshare I asked if there were maintenance fees and was told it would never be more than $200 per year. Several months ago there was a $2400 charge to MC for "janitorial services" on my Discover Card. I called Discover and they removed the charge. Last month I received a bill from MC for $2500 maintenance fee (for a 1/2 week per year!). Eichner is out of his mind if he thinks I'm going to pay him. I can book Doubletree suites at Times Square for less than that. They have much better elevators too! Les

Leslie L.
Oct 18, 2015

Just got this listing for a special limited time offer:

Your Manhattan Club Getaway for Two You’ll stay in the center of Manhattan for two incredible nights in a queen City Lights suite for as low as $271 per night*. In addition, enjoy these amenities during your stay:

Great location in Manhattan, close to everythingLarge suites with pillowtop bedsFree WiFiComplete kitchenette50-inch flat screen TVsPrivate club loungeBusiness centerClose to the best shopping and restaurants in Manhattan Want to reserve your suite for two at this low price?

Perhaps this is how they are still bringing in money. This is thru SFX...Don't know if RCI is doing same thing. And if you see bus loads coming in then they are also working with tour operators as well. It's just another slap in the face to owners. Best solution for all of us would be if they change business model to a botique hotel and buy us all out. Will that happen? Your guess is as good as mine.

Elaine F.
Oct 18, 2015

Elaine ... please be sure to get this info re: SFX to Mr. Schneiderman's office!

This is in direct violation of his cease and desist order.

Charles M.
Oct 18, 2015

charlesm548 wrote:
Elaine ... please be sure to get this info re: SFX to Mr. Schneiderman's office!

This is in direct violation of his cease and desist order.

It is my understanding that the Timeshare Association is not a party to the AG's court order. The advertised rentals are presumably currently unsold units, or perhaps from the many units that were previously sold back or foreclosed upon, and hence not in the owner's pool. The revenues from these rentals are projected to be about 12% of the Association's income in 2016, and thus help to offset the owners' timeshare charges. It does not appear to be in the owners' best interests to raise this as an issue.

David C.
Oct 18, 2015

leos45 wrote:
Hello Fellow MC "Owners"

In reading over the comments on the Redweek website I get a whiff of the frustration we all feel. But, sorry to say, it sounds like an echo chamber. We are talking to ourselves. Until we can really get together as a group we will get nowhere. How many other frustrated and angry "owners"are out there and as upset as we are? . How can we find out? It seems to me that, to begin with at the very least, we must be able to email each other. We "owners" are scattered nationally and world wide. Addressing this outrage individually is a wasted effort. A petition of several dozen names or several hundred or, even, who knows, a thousand or more is a different matter. It will get attention. I have offered my email address (leoyesleo@gmai.com) in earler comments on this website and have heard from nobody. Why?

Perhaps because others have been attempting to get email addresses of owners for over a year (the yahoo group and others...including Redweek and perhaps the various FACEBOOK groups )... AND significantly, the NYSAG. TMC is the only possible source of contact info of the 18,000??? Involved people/owners.

Dennis C.
Oct 18, 2015

I am one of those angry owner .my email Vibha.m.shah@gmail.com I am thinking of not paying common charges this year . Anyone can give me some input about that pl . Thank you

Vibhavary S.
Oct 19, 2015

Brief summary of our situation. We have owned 2 penthouse weeks for many years that for personal reasons we do not need. Cannot sell or return them pending AG issue. We do not like the Registry exchange plan (not worth it). No real advice from lawyers but session in NYC sponsored by Redweek was helpful as it appears that the MC cannot at this time 'do much' to hurt you right now if you do not pay. Because we are in 'limbo' we decided not to pay in July. We received several reminders from MC and one mailing so far with penalty fees attached but no real threats as of this time. It seems to us that if there is some sort of fair conclusion from AG action that we will be able to settle later. We do not like this situation but this seems like the most acceptable plan because the alternative (paying for nothing) is even more distasteful. Finally, the current value of our shares is $0 to us. However, from the Redweek meeting is clear that the MC was selling the 'returned shares from disgruntled owners for full retail value. Therefore we are also hopeful that if the AG comes up with a fair settlement that we will eventually be able to actually sell. I hope this is helpful.

vibhavarys wrote:
I am one of those angry owner .my email Vibha.m.shah@gmail.com I am thinking of not paying common charges this year . Anyone can give me some input about that pl . Thank you

Gerald C.
Oct 19, 2015

Very helpful - thank you!

geraldc102 wrote:
Brief summary of our situation. We have owned 2 penthouse weeks for many years that for personal reasons we do not need. Cannot sell or return them pending AG issue. We do not like the Registry exchange plan (not worth it). No real advice from lawyers but session in NYC sponsored by Redweek was helpful as it appears that the MC cannot at this time 'do much' to hurt you right now if you do not pay. Because we are in 'limbo' we decided not to pay in July. We received several reminders from MC and one mailing so far with penalty fees attached but no real threats as of this time. It seems to us that if there is some sort of fair conclusion from AG action that we will be able to settle later. We do not like this situation but this seems like the most acceptable plan because the alternative (paying for nothing) is even more distasteful. Finally, the current value of our shares is $0 to us. However, from the Redweek meeting is clear that the MC was selling the 'returned shares from disgruntled owners for full retail value. Therefore we are also hopeful that if the AG comes up with a fair settlement that we will eventually be able to actually sell. I hope this is helpful.

vibhavarys wrote:

Iris S.
Oct 19, 2015

Regarding the post below, I am not talking about getting any list of owners from the AG, TMC or anyone else. All I am requesting is that, for starters, anyone reading this post email me at leoyesleo@gmail.com. This Redweek website is adequate but real direct contact with even one other could expand the conversation and perhaps find ways to contact stranded owners not heard from. If my suggestion sounds useless, so be it. Thanks.

Leo Seligsohn

Perhaps because others have been attempting to get email addresses of owners for over a year (the yahoo group and others...including Redweek and perhaps the various FACEBOOK groups )... AND significantly, the NYSAG. TMC is the only possible source of contact info of the 18,000??? Involved people/owners.

Leo S.
Oct 19, 2015

We are staying at the Manhattan Club in a few weeks. I'm thinking of copying a page of the 'law suit' to hand out in the elevator to other owners who have not heard of problems we're having, & asking for their emails. This might be a way of contacting members who are not aware of what's going on. What do you think?

Pat G.
Oct 19, 2015

...................."whiff of the frustration"........."whiff" puts it mildly; it's more of the STENCH OF FRUSTRATION, NOT ONLY WITH THE CAPOS IN THE MANHATTAN CLUB, BUT WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL WHO WON'T GIVE US ANY IDEA OF WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE LEGAL ARENA SO WE CAN DEVELOP OUR OWN THOUGHTS ON HOW WE SHOULD PROCEED, FINANCIALLY, LEGALLY AND OTHERWISE WITH THE WRONGS HEAPED UPON US SHAREOWNERS OF THE MANHATTAN CLUB. WE HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE BUT TO CONTINUE PLAYING THE WAITING GAME..................SHADES OF THE MADOFF FIASCO, PERHAPS?

keep in touch,

chrisv126

dennisc283 wrote:
leos45 wrote:
Hello Fellow MC "Owners"

Chris V.
Oct 19, 2015

An owner has just responded to my request for email contact. I think you will be interested in what she has to say. It is information that I believe few, if any of us, have had.

"I'm tired of hearing everyone moan about being a victim as I will never be one.  People need to know the roles and limits of elected officials (like the AG).  The AG is responsible for representing the State of New York, not individuals.  Everyone keeps talking about a settlement-That's not his function.  It could happen, but in all probability won't.  If he obtains a conviction on a criminal violation then the owners could sue individually or as a class for redress.  These investigations can last for years!!  No law enforcement body will ever release information on an ongoing case.  Quite simply it can harm the outcome of the case.  The AG also is not in office to provide legal advice to anyone either.  Also, I am continuing to pay all fees and taxes.  I would be concerned if I didn't that TMC would negatively impact my Credit Bureau scores.  People may say they can't do that.  Well, maybe they shouldn't, but if they do then it's done and you know who has to get it corrected."

Leo S.
Oct 19, 2015

Hi... They fraudulently billed me for my annual fees without my authorization that they had on file from prior years. I called and fought with them to immediately withdraw the charges which they did... It is my intent to NOT PAY A DIME... until this situation gets rectified. They of course threatened their right to charge late fees and collection etc... but according to the AG filings, they have prevented the MC from starting any type of foreclosure. Just wondering if all of us- decided to NOT PAY... that would hurt them where it hurts the most.. in their wallets. If there are about 1000 disgruntled owners on here and approx. $2000 avg fees- at least it would add up to about $2,000,000 in lost revenues.. Any other thoughts??

iriss49 wrote:
Very helpful - thank you!

geraldc102 wrote:

vibhavarys wrote:

Patrick B.
Oct 19, 2015

good idea............responses should be interesting!!

Lois O.
Oct 20, 2015

They are making up lost revenue by renting suites out by the day for $271 per night thru SFX and other companies. Someone said they saw a bus load of guests arriving so it appears they are using tour operators to fill the rooms.

Elaine F.
Oct 20, 2015

I refuse to pay my maintenance until the AG's investigation is finalized. Once I know that my hard earned cash is not supporting "alledged" criminals, then I am happy to pay. From my reading of the AG's allegations, the maintenance money went into a shell account and from there directly into the pockets of the "alleged" criminals with no benefit to the members/owners. I have received dunning collection calls and am waiting to see when and if the collection notices hit my credit record. When and if this happens, I will dispute the collection attempts in writing to the credit agencies and cite the AG's fraud investigation.

Wendy T.
Oct 20, 2015

They charged my Amex, so I disputed the charge. It was immediately reversed and not a peep from TMC.

Gerard M.
Oct 20, 2015

TMC DO ANYTHING FOR OWNERS.?.............NOT IN THIS LIFETIME OR ANY FUTURE LIFETIME. ALL THEY KNOW HOW TO DO IS TAKE...............MONEY, RIGHTS, ET AL. I HAVE NO REASON TO BELIEVE THAT THEY'D GIVE OWNERS A LIST OF ALL SHAREOWNERS. THAT WOULD GIVE US OWNERS MUCH TOO MUCH POWER. THE NYSAG, ERIC SCHNEIDERMAN ASH NOT HELD OUT ANYTHING FOR US TO WORK WITH.................NO "DO THIS OR DON'T DO THAT" REGARDING OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE MANHATTANFRAUD CLUB. WHERE DO WE STAND, OR WHERE ARE WE SUSPENDED?................LIKE PETER PAN, FLYING AROUND TO NOWHERE. CAN'T GET HELP EVEN FROM OUR NYS ATTORNEY GENERAL.............A VERY SAD COMMENTARY, INDEED. AT THIS TIME, I HOPE HE'S NOT SEEKING MY VOTE WHEN THE TIME COMES.

YES, AM SHOUTING OR AT LEAST EMPHASIZING, ERGO THE CAPS.

CHRISV126.

Chris V.
Oct 20, 2015

leos45 wrote:
An owner has just responded to my request for email contact. I think you will be interested in what she has to say. It is information that I believe few, if any of us, have had.

"I'm tired of hearing everyone moan about being a victim as I will never be one.  People need to know the roles and limits of elected officials (like the AG).  The AG is responsible for representing the State of New York, not individuals.  Everyone keeps talking about a settlement-That's not his function.  It could happen, but in all probability won't.  If he obtains a conviction on a criminal violation then the owners could sue individually or as a class for redress.  These investigations can last for years!!  No law enforcement body will ever release information on an ongoing case.  Quite simply it can harm the outcome of the case.  The AG also is not in office to provide legal advice to anyone either.  Also, I am continuing to pay all fees and taxes.  I would be concerned if I didn't that TMC would negatively impact my Credit Bureau scores.  People may say they can't do that.  Well, maybe they shouldn't, but if they do then it's done and you know who has to get it corrected."

YOU HAVE FALLEN PREY TO THE "GIVE UP THE SHIP" SYNDROME...................MY ANSWER: NEVER SAY DIE.

Chris V.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.