Club Wyndham Santa Barbara

Special Assessment / Class Action Lawsuit!

Feb 14, 2008

Fellow owners,

Thanks for your questions. At the bottom of this email is the cumulative list, so far, of the questions I'll try to get answered.

If anyone would like to suggest additional questions, just call me at SB (unit 810) after Feb 23rd and leave a voice mail message. While at SB, I'll also try to meet with John Juliano (Week 7 / Unit 709) since he'll be there too.

I'm leaving for Florida tomorrow and probably won't have access to this forum again until I report back -- on or about Feb 27-28.

Questions for Meeting:

1) Why such large assessments when we have been paying for insurance that was supposed to cover everything?

2) Will Wyndham management and this association be reviewing the resort’s insurance policy yearly to ensure that building damage caused by future catastrophic events will be covered?

3) Can management look into some options, such as window shutters, to reduce damage during a storm and lower insurance premiums?

4) Since we have been assessed for steep shortfalls in insurance reimbursements, how will we be remunerated when Wyndham sells available units and the facility is operating in the black? (A refund would be nice, but probably we’ll see it in lower assessments.)

5) When all of the foreclosures go back to Wyndham, why are we paying all of their fees? Shouldn't the Wyndham pay a portion of these?

6) What is being done to promote resort rentals and sales?

7) How can we open these meeting to allow all owners to participate either via Web access or telephone conferencing?

Emily

Emily W.
Feb 14, 2008

emilyw28 wrote:
Fellow owners,

Thanks for your questions. At the bottom of this email is the cumulative list, so far, of the questions I'll try to get answered.

If anyone would like to suggest additional questions, just call me at SB (unit 810) after Feb 23rd and leave a voice mail message. While at SB, I'll also try to meet with John Juliano (Week 7 / Unit 709) since he'll be there too.

I'm leaving for Florida tomorrow and probably won't have access to this forum again until I report back -- on or about Feb 27-28.

Questions for Meeting:

1) Why such large assessments when we have been paying for insurance that was supposed to cover everything?

2) Will Wyndham management and this association be reviewing the resort’s insurance policy yearly to ensure that building damage caused by future catastrophic events will be covered?

3) Can management look into some options, such as window shutters, to reduce damage during a storm and lower insurance premiums?

4) Since we have been assessed for steep shortfalls in insurance reimbursements, how will we be remunerated when Wyndham sells available units and the facility is operating in the black? (A refund would be nice, but probably we’ll see it in lower assessments.)

5) When all of the foreclosures go back to Wyndham, why are we paying all of their fees? Shouldn't the Wyndham pay a portion of these?

7) How can we open these meeting to allow all owners to participate either via Web access or telephone conferencing?

Emily

Emily, don't forget that any of the local public libraries have email access, and I would think at no cost to you, so you can keep up with messages, etc. That county has a wonderful library system. Jeanne, retired univ. librarian & disgruntled owner

Jeanne G.
Feb 14, 2008

emilyw28 wrote:
john4129 wrote:
steven397 wrote:
julieh156 wrote:
adahiscout wrote:
It's February. Is it open yet? MD
Yes, I am staying there right now. I will be staying there for 3 weeks ( I own 3 weeks). The resort is beautiful

Will anyone on this forum be attending the Feb 21 annual meeting of the membership? I will gladly assign my proxy to an owner rather than default it to management.

I will be there February 16 - 23rd and plan to attend the membership meeting. If anyone want to assign their proxy to me, I'll be happy to vote and report back. Also, feel free to call me while I am there. My name is Emily ("Soule") Williams, Unit 810 / week 7. So fellow owners can call me at the unit during those dates.

Like many of you, I've felt strongly the special assessments were unfair and have many questions regarding resort management, particularly the status and adequacy of our property insurance. However, with difficulty, I did pay all of the assessments.

Frankly, I doubt we will get many answers at this meeting nor will we have much say countering the steep budget increase.

I am VERY open and would very much appreciate hearing suggestions and questions from my fellow owners about questions and issues you would like raised, particularly if you are not able to attend. I would like to see these meetings opened to all owners via Web access or telephone conferencing and will raise this issue.

For all of us who will be attending -- lets try to get together before and after the meeting to plan future activities and report back to everyone on this forum.

Emily

Emily

My wife and I will assign our proxy to you. I will fax it over to the resort tomorrow. Good luck and go get em! I think one of the most important questions to ask is how much money is the Property Owners Association (us) "selling" the forclosed or returned timeshares to Wyndhams for and where is the money going, which account? From my understanding there are Wyndhams employees on the home owners board, I'm sure the fixed week owners interest are secondary in this situation. Thanks and good luck, I wish I could be there with you.

Jeff and Denise Andring Unit 601 Week 33

Jeff A.
Feb 16, 2008

emilyw28 wrote:
Fellow owners,

Questions for Meeting:

Emily

since we owners are paying for the foreclosure units, is there a majority for us to see if we can sell the land and building and split the profit? we know the land is worth a lot. Just a thought.

Richard W.
Feb 17, 2008

You can have my proxy. How can I get it to you?

Rick E.
Feb 18, 2008

rick314 wrote:
You can have my proxy. How can I get it to you?
We sent our proxy form with Emily's name on it which is on the letter about the meeting sent to us from the association. Emily wrote in a previous message the unit she is staying in, so call the resort and ask for her unit. The proxies had to be in the resort hands by today 5p.m. EST. We need all of the votes we can get so we can get the truth.

Richard W.
Feb 18, 2008

Hello! My husband and I own a fixed week at Santa Barbara. If there is strength in numbers, we would like to be on your list. For my part, I would like a fellow owner to be present at meetings. We would be happy to have that person vote for us by proxy in the future. Christian and Denise Duren 2939 woodland Park Rd Grants Pass, Or. 97527 Thanks, Denise

Denise D.
Feb 20, 2008

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately I have not received any Faxes from anyone. I've check at the desks at Santa Barbara and Royal Vista.

If you can, before 11:30 am Thursday, please re-FAX to:

Emily Williams Soule, Room 6610, at: 954-233-7513

That is the FAX number at Royal Vista where I am now staying. My unit 810 was not available this week at Santa Barbara because the air conditioning was not working, so they gave me a 2-bed room unit here. I stayed the first night in 301 at Santa Barbara, which is a 1-bed room unit. It was beautiful and I would have continued to stay they except I had several guests with me and needed the bigger unit.

The staff at Santa Barbara is working very hard and is trying to be helpful. Their best guess is that the resort really won't be 100% until 2009. In the meantime, they're doing what they can. Again, I'm really pleased with the quality of the renovation. Units are beautiful.

The Board of Directors meeting is at noon tomorrow (Thursday), and the owners meeting is at 3:00. I'm planning to attend both and will report back.

Emily

Emily W.
Feb 20, 2008

emilyw28 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately I have not received any Faxes from anyone. I've check at the desks at Santa Barbara and Royal Vista.

That is the FAX number at Royal Vista where I am now staying. My unit 810 was not available this week at Santa Barbara because the air conditioning was not working, so they gave me a 2-bed room unit here. I stayed the first night in 301 at Santa Barbara, which is a 1-bed room unit. It was beautiful and I would have continued to stay they except I had several guests with me and needed the bigger unit.

The staff at Santa Barbara is working very hard and is trying to be helpful. Their best guess is that the resort really won't be 100% until 2009. In the meantime, they're doing what they can. Again, I'm really pleased with the quality of the renovation. Units are beautiful.

The Board of Directors meeting is at noon tomorrow (Thursday), and the owners meeting is at 3:00. I'm planning to attend both and will report back.

Emily

Thanks Emily,

I faxed my proxy last week, last name depaso, brenda unit 403 week 25. really appreciate your taking my proxy. If hotel is not going to be fully functioning until 2009, then why are they telling us it's ready now?

Good Luck, brenda

Brenda D.
Feb 20, 2008

emilyw28 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Emily

Sorry Emily, but didn't get my proxy until yesterday (2-19-08) in that we're vacationing and having our mail forwarded. There might be some relief down the road. We heard that buyers from RCI might have a chance for a "buyback" program in about 1 year. We were told to check back in 6 months.

Harold W.
Feb 20, 2008

I just faxed my proxy to you. Week 29, Unit 406 Good luck in your meetings..........Rick

Rick E.
Feb 20, 2008

rick314 wrote:
I just faxed my proxy to you. Week 29, Unit 406 Good luck in your meetings..........Rick
Emily, We sent our letter authorizing you to be our proxie via priority mail and they should have received it last Friday. Richard and Julie White

Richard W.
Feb 20, 2008

haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Emily

Sorry Emily, but didn't get my proxy until yesterday (2-19-08) in that we're vacationing and having our mail forwarded. There might be some relief down the road. We heard that buyers from RCI might have a chance for a "buyback" program in about 1 year. We were told to check back in 6 months.
What do you mean by RCI Buyback? Will they buy back our units or what? The White's Right now we found out that we may be able to deed back our timeshare for a cost of $375, but we do not have all of the facts. Will write when we do. If we can not use our units for our week, does SB guarentee us a unit somewhere else. Our week is the third week in Sept., so if we have not sold it, donated it or deeded back, we will use it this year. Who do we call to see about RCI buyback? The White's

Richard W.
Feb 21, 2008

emilyw28 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Emily

Emily,

I followed the instructions that came with the proxy and faxed my proxy to Ph# 954-946-8651 Attn: Sharon Cooper on 2/15/08 10:10am. I have confirmation that they received it.

I just faxed it to you again at Ph# 954-233-7513, Attn :Emily Williams and Sharon Cooper 12/21/08 @ 8:46 am. I also have confirmation that it has been received.

Jeff A.
Feb 29, 2008

So what happened at the meeting? Please let us know and thanks Emily for being our proxy. RPWhite

Richard W.
Feb 29, 2008

haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Emily

Would someone please let us know about the RCI buy back and what it means? Thank you, RPWhite

Richard W.
Feb 29, 2008

Emily,

What happened at the meetings?

Trish

Patricia C.
Feb 29, 2008

richardw235 wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Emily

Would someone please let us know about the RCI buy back and what it means? Thank you, RPWhite

Harold W.
Feb 29, 2008

We inquired of RCI if they had a resales outlet and we were told that RCI is working on something involving a buy back deal, however, it would not be available until at least 6 months from now. They advised us to contact them (RCI) in 6 months or so.

Harold W.
Mar 05, 2008

haroldw42 wrote:
We inquired of RCI if they had a resales outlet and we were told that RCI is working on something involving a buy back deal, however, it would not be available until at least 6 months from now. They advised us to contact them (RCI) in 6 months or so.
My wife called RCI today about this buy back deal, and the supervisor said RCI does not and will not buy back any timeshares, but we could call the Century 21 RE broker who they recommend. She said no thank you for we tried this RE for a cost of $500 up front fee which they said satisfied the Florida Law to appraise the unit. Which we have just found out is illegal, but we thought Century 21 was an honest company, and found out they scam people too. So I am asking who you talked to about this buy back? Thanks for a reply, R White

Richard W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.