The Manhattan Club

the manhattan club

Oct 12, 2007

Are we just mouthing our frastration with the MC or tring to get togather and try to do some good in geting the magement team and board to listen to owners, I check the New yahoo group and there are only 5 members join, yet when I count the names of owners on this board there are at least 20 Look lets get these 20 here to contact 5 other owners and inform them about the group, not so hard , if when we Go to The Manhattan club we invite other owners we meet to join, that will be 100 owners they tell another 5 people thats 500 , whit that 500 we can get changes, I will be going to red week Timeshare for sale and rent site and email the sellers and renters about the group(some sellers own more than 1 wk) then the same on TUG site

Howard B.
Oct 12, 2007

I agree Howard, where is everyone? I've noticed ads for rent and sale on craigslist. I don't have time right now, but perhaps someone could reply to their ads and tell them about the yahoo group. tug2net may be a good resouce also.

Lucy A.
Oct 12, 2007

howardb21 wrote:
Are we just mouthing our frastration with the MC or tring to get togather and try to do some good in geting the magement team and board to listen to owners, I check the New yahoo group and there are only 5 members join, yet when I count the names of owners on this board there are at least 20 Look lets get these 20 here to contact 5 other owners and inform them about the group, not so hard , if when we Go to The Manhattan club we invite other owners we meet to join, that will be 100 owners they tell another 5 people thats 500 , whit that 500 we can get changes, I will be going to red week Timeshare for sale and rent site and email the sellers and renters about the group(some sellers own more than 1 wk) then the same on TUG site

Sorry, Howard, but I do not know even one other owner of the MC. When we bought we lived in ND and now live in Alaska. Do you know about any legal aspect re: this? Colleen

Colleen K.
Oct 13, 2007

Sorry, Howard, but I do not know even one other owner of the MC. When we bought we lived in ND and now live in Alaska. Do you know about any legal aspect re: this? Colleen

Hi Colleen Not sure I understand Question ? (do you know about legal aspect re: this?) if Question is it ok to email other owners of the Manhattan club and ask them to join a forum or group then the answer is yes its A ok

Howard B.
Oct 13, 2007

howardb21 wrote:

Hi Colleen Not sure I understand Question ? (do you know about legal aspect re: this?) if Question is it ok to email other owners of the Manhattan club and ask them to join a forum or group then the answer is yes its A ok

No, what I meant was a legal issue with the MC. Someone mentioned a class action suit. Thanks Howard

Colleen K.
Oct 13, 2007

howardb21 wrote:
Howard, I joined the group too. But it looks like this group is more energetic than the one on yahoo.com. Shall we create a group on tug2.net? Is it possible? If traffic is higher there, we will have more people joining. In addition, we can ask the two board members who I am sure have access to the list of owners to send an email (letter?) to everyone on the list announcing that there is a Manhattan Club forum. Moreover, if they can not do it for whatever privacy reasons, we can send a letter to Manhattan Club Board of Trustees (Member Services) with a request to create forum for the members or use this one. They can announce it in the annual letter to every member. I would say this is a win-win scenario for the board too, they can use it to communicate with members. What do you think?

Vera.

Vera T.
Oct 14, 2007

I just checked tug. You really have to search back to find more comments re: the MC. It seems everyone is quite happy with the MC on that site. I couldn't find anything referring to the extreme raise in the maintenance fees or the inability to reserve owned time. I can really get it. None of us know what to do. It appears that we are left with the inability to not only address, but truly act on our behalf. Colleen

Colleen K.
Oct 15, 2007

Pixie Got you on the class action, there were two attorneys that posted on this board, have not seen any recent post from them hopefuly they are checking if a class action is feasibly

Vera Its a new group 11 days old so it will take some time to get new members awareness of the group, this board is over 1 yr old,(367 days) we just have to get the word out on the yahoo board, I admit for me I fine this board (redweek) a lot easer to navigate. geting the board of trustees to form a forum is good ,but I dont thing they are likly to do that and if they do They would shut it down as soon as they see all the complains coming in and treat of action posting on the forum, the annual board meeting is in August 2008 lets all go in and see if we speak as one we can get any changes, as soon as I fine out the date I will post it here and on the yahoo site, hopefuly we can all get reservations at the MC for acouple of days on the date, if any one get the date befor me please post Howard

Howard B.
Oct 15, 2007

paulinep13 wrote:
Hmmm! I have stayed at the Manhattan Club every year since it opened. The service has always been very good. I'll be there again inSeptemver 2007. Hope I am not disappointed.
hi i am new to this manhattan club but am interested in renting - how did you find it in sept 2007 thks

Gerrie L.
Oct 15, 2007

howardb21 wrote:
Pixie Got you on the class action, there were two attorneys that posted on this board, have not seen any recent post from them hopefuly they are checking if a class action is feasibly

Vera Its a new group 11 days old so it will take some time to get new members awareness of the group, this board is over 1 yr old,(367 days) we just have to get the word out on the yahoo board, I admit for me I fine this board (redweek) a lot easer to navigate. geting the board of trustees to form a forum is good ,but I dont thing they are likly to do that and if they do They would shut it down as soon as they see all the complains coming in and treat of action posting on the forum, the annual board meeting is in August 2008 lets all go in and see if we speak as one we can get any changes, as soon as I fine out the date I will post it here and on the yahoo site, hopefuly we can all get reservations at the MC for acouple of days on the date, if any one get the date befor me please post Howard

Yes, Docdefender(Peter) is an attorney I think. He responded but then --not again. He told me that he'd get back to me, but no luck. Colleen

Colleen K.
Oct 15, 2007

We rented at the MC in early Sept., our first time at MC. We too had tried for years to do an exhange through RCI without success. We no longer belong to RCI. We found the staff to be very personable. We had to change rooms; toilet wouldn't flush, curtains were torn and some wouldn't go up. plus other problems. Manager was most helpful and we were moved the next day to a much nicer room that had been up graded. We were considering buying a resale unit at the MC, but after our stay, reading comments on sights such as redweek.com, and talking to a few owners, we chose not to. Location is fantastic and reasonable value if you get a deal through redweek.com. One must keep in mind that the MC is not a destination resort, but a place to spend a few hours between the wonderful sights and activities of NYC.

Leon P.
Oct 16, 2007

Leon64 if you can get a good deal on a resale I think you should grab it if you like NYC the capitol of the world, I own at the MC , yes management is lousy , but if you can afford maintance fee that are outrageous , when I invite friends to spend a week there with us from all over they are so excited,its unbelivable, Ihave travel to Concun , SXM and siting thru there presintation and tell them were I own I have had offers ,like trade me a week in NYC and pick any room here for any week you want, I have 5 weeks and rent here on redweek when I wount be using all my time, they are rented in two weeks of post , at a profit above maintance fees, not so with other timeshare I own , Yes you will have to fite management and sky hy fees but like most things good you fite for, so when you read this board , you will see that owners of MC is not selling , they are fighting to make it better and its worth the fight its NYC

Howard P.S (we will overcome some day) LOL

Howard B.
Oct 16, 2007

howardb21 wrote:
Leon64 if you can get a good deal on a resale I think you should grab it if you like NYC the capitol of the world, I own at the MC , yes management is lousy , but if you can afford maintance fee that are outrageous , when I invite friends to spend a week there with us from all over they are so excited,its unbelivable, Ihave travel to Concun , SXM and siting thru there presintation and tell them were I own I have had offers ,like trade me a week in NYC and pick any room here for any week you want, I have 5 weeks and rent here on redweek when I wount be using all my time, they are rented in two weeks of post , at a profit above maintance fees, not so with other timeshare I own , Yes you will have to fite management and sky hy fees but like most things good you fite for, so when you read this board , you will see that owners of MC is not selling , they are fighting to make it better and its worth the fight its NYC

Howard P.S (we will overcome some day) LOL

Well Howard, you write many truths, but Redweek.com has more than 50 MC units listed for sale and one can only guess that there are many more for sale listed with other entities. I know mine will be for sale soon. It's very interesting that some people find the MC staff so personable and helpful and others find just the opposite. Colleen

Colleen K.
Oct 17, 2007

Yes there are lots for sale thru redweek .ebay ,tug ect. I should have said not dumping them, they are still asking a fair price for them, sorry to here you are selling, even though I will be selling in about 5 yrs myself, (Moving) Trying to find an Island I can afford one bedroom condo ocean front, thats also safe Howard

Howard B.
Oct 17, 2007

howardb21 wrote:
Yes there are lots for sale thru redweek .ebay ,tug ect. I should have said not dumping them, they are still asking a fair price for them, sorry to here you are selling, even though I will be selling in about 5 yrs myself, (Moving) Trying to find an Island I can afford one bedroom condo ocean front, thats also safe Howard

You might want to check out the out-islands of the Bahamas. I used to live on Eleuthera and still have an oceanfront lot there that I am now in the process of putting up for sale. Beautiful, temperate year-round and in my experience totally safe. Unfortunately, my kids live in Manhattan and have no interest in it.

I should mention that I have followed this dialogue on MC with great interest. Since my kids live on the upper West Side it seemed ideal. I was using Red Week to scout for a bargain. However, with all the horror stories I've been seeing here I'm holding up on buying until I see how you all come out.

Gerry M.
Oct 17, 2007

Two questions: 1. Do you think we owners would be better off having these discussions in a closed group such as the one on yahoo? Membership must be approved by the moderator and is limited to current owners

2. Is it possible the attorneys in the group were quieted down some way by the management?

Lucy A.
Oct 17, 2007

lucy109 wrote:
Two questions: 1. Do you think we owners would be better off having these discussions in a closed group such as the one on yahoo? Membership must be approved by the moderator and is limited to current owners

2. Is it possible the attorneys in the group were quieted down some way by the management?

Lucy, you pose a very interesting question. I think you're right that it should be a closed group, but how would they know we're owners? I mean, the moderator. Colleen

Colleen K.
Nov 15, 2007

Wow! What an eye opener. I have finally received a confirmation on a suite for Sept. 2008. Initially I was very excited and have even considered purchasing here until I read all the negative comments. For even year owners, what is the maintenance fee?

We won several timeshares;Intrawest, Worldmark et al. and are accustomed to Gold Crown resort standards. Several posts suggest that renovations are taking place and the resort is returning to it's deluxe standard....is this true? I would appreciate current feedback from anyone who has stayed there lately. While location is important, I want to have hot water and not feel like I need to inspect the linens and dirty my feet walking on the carpet...egad!

Mahalo for your replies.

Tammy B.
Dec 13, 2007

frank972 wrote:
As owners, we just called the MC to book our 7 nights for 2007 and were told there are no rooms available for the remainder of the year. We told them we paid for a room and we are entitled to get 7 nights every year but we have no recourse. We think this is illegal. They said we could be put on a waitlist but even if we were to get one night, we would lose the remaining 6. They said If we can't get our nights, we will lose them. we have no recourse as far as getting our nights at any other time either. If anyone is think'g of purchasing, they should reconsider and investigate this and try to contact other owners. If anyone has any info relative to this matter, please answer.
We have the same issue- we own 7 days every two years and have been losing at least one day a year because we can never get a reservation. WE live 2 hrs away and one Sunday just took a chance on a cancellation- drove into the city, left our bags with the bellman and called every few hrs to check for availability. we finally were able to get a room and stayed that night. The cancellation policy is poor. There is no incentive for anyone cancel so rooms often sit empty- they can not give that room away because someone may arrive in the middle of the night. I think owners shouldl have to reconfirm 24 hrs ahead. That way more openings would come available.

Janet R.
Dec 13, 2007

janet899 wrote:
frank972 wrote:
As owners, we just called the MC to book our 7 nights for 2007 and were told there are no rooms available for the remainder of the year. We told them we paid for a room and we are entitled to get 7 nights every year but we have no recourse. We think this is illegal. They said we could be put on a waitlist but even if we were to get one night, we would lose the remaining 6. They said If we can't get our nights, we will lose them. we have no recourse as far as getting our nights at any other time either. If anyone is think'g of purchasing, they should reconsider and investigate this and try to contact other owners. If anyone has any info relative to this matter, please answer.
We have the same issue- we own 7 days every two years and have been losing at least one day a year because we can never get a reservation. WE live 2 hrs away and one Sunday just took a chance on a cancellation- drove into the city, left our bags with the bellman and called every few hrs to check for availability. we finally were able to get a room and stayed that night. The cancellation policy is poor. There is no incentive for anyone cancel so rooms often sit empty- they can not give that room away because someone may arrive in the middle of the night. I think owners shouldl have to reconfirm 24 hrs ahead. That way more openings would come available.

Consider joining the MC Owners group on Yahoo. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/manhattanclubowners/

Lucy A.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.