Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

GRAND MAYAN LUXX VILLAS

Jun 12, 2009

purchased upgrade grand bliss. waiting for its completion. We own Grand Mayan. they appear to be a beautiful addition, although the Grand Mayan is very nice. Some fo the rooms ar not maintained, especially in Acapulco. Not our favorite place. Will not return. Noted as a resort for the Nationals. the Lobby though, exceptional. has been used for a Soap opera shoot (of Mexico) Cuiadado con el angel. Beautiful back drop for a telenovela.

Okay, Grand Bliss..tell me when the bliss will be done. WE own the larger unit Sleeping 10. Traded extra weeks for 5 yrs. Good deal. We have other time shares.

Vivian M.
Jun 16, 2009

Laura, You describe our dilemma to the "tee"; why is it that no matter how hard you try when you get home you can't really come up with everything the way it was explained "over breakfast". We bought into the Grand Luxxe Residence Club in P. Penasco in April - we had previously bought a total of three accounts, all of which "went into" this purchase. That's the part we are having trouble reconciling. We were given our "personal" contact but can't get him to reply. We're not necessarily unhappy with what we have done. We were told all the construction around the Mayan Palace in Penasco is Luxxe units of some type but the initial one would be opening in P. Vallarta (originally set for October but now pushed to the first part of 2010. We also heard some discussion about the Wyndham even buying some of our VF weeks but when we contacted the Mayan they show no restrictions on anything at the present. Will be going to Acapulco at Thanksgiving - maybe answers there?? Also the new airport which is to open at Penasco (Rocky Point) is to be a great boom for that resort. Mr. Chavez himself is to be there!

C. L.
Jun 17, 2009

IT DOES NOT SEEM THAT THE GRAND LUXXE IS OFFERING A REDUCED MAINTENANCE FEE AT 75 AND FREE AT 77? AM I WRONG? DOES ANYONE HAVE IT? PAUL ALSO I WAS IN NUEVO VALLARTA AT THE GRAND MAYAN MEMORIAL DAY WEEK, 2009. THE CONSTRUCTION ON THE GRAND LUXXE AND THE LAND SURROUNDING IT IS CONTINUING DAY AND NIGHT, IT COULD BE READY FOR OCCUPANCY IN MARCH, 2010.

Paul C.
Jul 03, 2009

When we went Grand Mayan we got the deal you speak of. We paid half the usual MF last year and this fall can go free. Of course the MF does still apply if you rent the unit or send someone else in your place. However, when the contract in inherited by our kids, they presumably will get this same deal whenever they have paid MFs for at least 5 years. It is a comfort that as people age and may not be able to fly south, they will not continue to pay MFs but still own the contract and can pass it on. MD

Mary D.
Jul 14, 2009

Beware of buying into the grand bliss at any location!!!! We have been grand mayan owners for a couple of years and traded in our grand mayan weeks and bought into the grand bliss last year when we were in Riviera Maya. on July 2 We went to book a week for Jan 2010 in Puerto Vallarta. The grand bliss will not be ready then and we are fine with staying at the grand mayan, but we were told we must pay the Grand Bliss maintenance fee instead of the grand mayan fee (note that we were told at the time of sale that we would only pay the grand mayan fee if the grand bliss was not built yet). This is several hundred dollars more and we do not get the grand bliss amenities! Grupo Mayan is just like every other time share company...dishonest!!!! DO NOT BUY GRAND BLISS on speculation that it will be built. You are giving them your money interest free to use for years and not getting anything in return!

Sharon G.
Jul 15, 2009

Sharon,

Yes, Grupo Mayan is like any other timeshare company. Only what is in writing and signed as a part of the contract will be honored. The good news is that if it is in the contract, then they are very good at honoring it.

I upgraded to the Grand Bliss a year ago. It is in my contract that I don't pay GB MF if they don't exist; I also still get my amenities (basically free golf) which makes the upgrade well worth it for me even if they never build the GB. My suggestion is when you go, contact one of the contracts people (not sales) and demand that be written into the contract. I have had a couple of other issues and have resolved them that way. You might try beforehand, but we have never been successful except in person.

Mike

Michael K.
Jul 15, 2009

Thanks Mike, we will try that when we are there in January. We are not golfers so that amenity does not substitute for differnce in fee

Sharon G.
Jul 16, 2009

sharong240 wrote:
Thanks Mike, we will try that when we are there in January. We are not golfers so that amenity does not substitute for differnce in fee

Sharon,

Mike provides great advice to us all.

One addition I would make is don't wait. Start the process now and be persistent. The organization will honor their commitments or make adjustments if required.

Bob

Bob J.
Jul 19, 2009

Mike and Bob, Thanks to both of you for your excellent advice. We contacted Grupo Mayan by e mail and received a response from them within a couple of hours apologizing and telling us that we should have recevied a 20% discount if we were booking at the grand mayan because the grand bliss is not ready. That was on Thursday of this week. Today (Sunday!) I received a call at home from Susan with Grupo Mayan telling us she would be taking care of rectifying our account today and my husband would then receive an e mail outlining the credit to our account. NOW THAT IS SERVICE!!!

Sharon G.
Jul 19, 2009

Great!

Once you get past the obnoxious sales force, I have found the grupo mayan service folks to be quite reasonable to deal with. I know you don't play golf but I would also insist when you get there that you get the other amenities (free internet, extra spa stuff). it is not your fault that they are delayed.

Better yet; learn to play golf :>)

Mike

Michael K.
Jul 19, 2009

Great indeed!

To Mike's comments I would add make sure you tell the folks at the reservations department that you want the other amemities as well. Our experience: don't leave a single stone unturned!

Also, if nothing else, hitting up to the green and putting out is a great way to start the game.

This from a true duffer!

Bob

Bob J.
Aug 03, 2009

hi. we just arrived back from the riviera maya and were one of the people who went to a sales pitch breakfast and 6 hours later came out as owners of a time share withing the grupo mayan.

I was hoping that someone would be able to let us know if our deal was good as well as if anyone has had any trouble selling their weeks to a broker or wyndham.

1 R.W. studio 1 V.F. Studio 1 Sunpack Studio 2 Seapac 2 bedrooms 25 breakaway weeks for 50 years through HSI

50% off golf courses at the resorts.

We were told that as long as we sold one week a year back to wyndham that we would have no maintenance fees.

has anyone had trouble selling to wyndham?

thanks,

Jackie

Jackie M.

Last edited by jackiem146 on Aug 03, 2009 03:41 PM

Aug 04, 2009

jackiem146 wrote:
hi. we just arrived back from the riviera maya and were one of the people who went to a sales pitch breakfast and 6 hours later came out as owners of a time share withing the grupo mayan.

I was hoping that someone would be able to let us know if our deal was good as well as if anyone has had any trouble selling their weeks to a broker or wyndham.

We were told that as long as we sold one week a year back to wyndham that we would have no maintenance fees.

RESCIND NOW I do not know anything about this resort, but it is obvious that you still have questions about whether or not you made a good deal. Rescind now and take the time do your research.

You were told "as long as we sold one week a year back to wyndham you would have no maintenance fees". Is this written in your contract? TS salespeople will say anything from half-truths to outright lies to entice you to buy a unit.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Aug 06, 2009 05:44 AM

Aug 05, 2009

It might be too late but definitely rescind if you can. The mayan resorts are great resorts but, as for all timeshares, you can buy dirt cheap on resale. Also, don't believe anything the sales people told you in the sales process; only what is written into the contract will be honored.

I own there, go twice a year, enjoy the resorts. I am not at all familiar with what you bought, but don't expect to rent back through Wyndham to not pay maintenance fees.

Mike

Michael K.
Aug 05, 2009

....We were told that as long as we sold one week a year back to wyndham that we would have no maintenance fees.

To me, that sort of language sounds like you pay the MF and to give your rights to Wyndham. Then, they will use their best efforts to sell your rights for a price higher than your MF and pay you back your MF to control your rights.

Tricky, especially with nothing in writing.

Bob

Bob J.
Aug 06, 2009

bob739 wrote:
To me, that sort of language sounds like you pay the MF and to give your rights to Wyndham. Then, they will use their best efforts to sell your rights for a price higher than your MF and pay you back your MF to control your rights.

I've read many complaints about Mexican TS promising to rent out weeks for big bucks and even charging additional money to do so. The end result is nothing gets rented and the owner is still on the hook for the MF.

Mike N.
Aug 07, 2009

thank you all for your help. We have rescinded. Hopefully there is no problems. If for some reason we are stuck in our agreement, it is nice to hear that others enjoy the establishments.

Jackie M.
Aug 07, 2009

That is the right attitude. Hopefully, you are OK on your rescinding; if not, enjoy the resorts. Over time, you will forget what you paid but the enjoyment will continue.

Mike

Michael K.
Aug 07, 2009

I didn't know Mayan had Studios. Maybe that is what they are now calling what we know as "Master Rooms" which are like a hotel room but have a lock-off connection to a one bedroom suite which does have BR, LR, Bath, and cooking facilities. We used to have the combination of Master Room and Suite which we could use on consecutive weeks or rent out either together or separatey. Now we have just a Grand Mayan 1BR suite but can "carry over" for a year and use two weeks every other year if we prefer. Saves on air!

Oh! We did once get a unit at Acapulco in place of our Master Room which did not connect to anything. Quite nice and close to the water, but still no cooking. A salesman loaned us his coffee maker.

We were told that Wyndham would not bother with less than two units but suppose that can change. We have the Sun Pak and Maz Pak which we could use or try to rent ourselves but just have not bothered to date. Really should.

If you were too late to cancel your contract, relax and enjoy it.

MD

Mary D.
Sep 15, 2009

We bought at the Grand Bliss as an upgrade. Since we only travel when our kids are out of school, we are limited to spring break and Christmas. My husband loved the Grand Mayan. It is clean, the weather is outstanding and now there is internet in the rooms so he does not have to stress about leaving the office. With GM, you cannot book for March unless it is 60 days before the date of travel. That is harsh when you cannot use the Christmas week.

With the GB, we can schedule farther out so we can actually use our weeks and take friends and family with us. The upgrade was a little pricey but they threw in outside weeks that are good during Easter and Christmas. Made it worthwhile. Also accepted a trade in which brought the price down. As much as I loved the trade in, the week was set at 49 (gift from my mom) and the kids were in school. It was a 2 bedroom that we kept trading for studios.

I am not clear on renting it out, though. The numbers that they gave us to help with that are not great.

Jill G.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.