Club Wyndham Santa Barbara

Special Assessment / Class Action Lawsuit!

Nov 04, 2007

jeff1112 wrote:
patricia678 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:
My letter said Santa Barbara may be open in January 2008 but the target month is February 2008. In any case, though, the letter promised alternative accommodations in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

My week is in February and I'm planning to go assuming I'll have accommodations somewhere nice.

I wouldn't sell now. It's a bad time. I'd really try to pay these outrageous fees under the assumption it's a one time thing and continue to fight and learn all we can about how much the insurance paid, whether the insurance was adequate, and whether the Santa Barbara management had been keeping up the insurance premiums.

Does anyone have information on this?

We're not alone. Together we can ensure accountability.

You can be assured this is NOT a one time thing. This is our 2nd special assessment in 12 years. There will be another after the next hurricane.
I have some information on the insurance. I also have received information on other issues about Santa Barbara. I'm about to send out my second demand letter requesting copies of the estimates and bids. I have also contacted the Florida State Attorney Generals office and placed a complaint of fraud against the Santa Barbara Board and Wyndham Resorts. They will be accountable to me for my property and my money they are spending.

Jeff,

Should all owners contact the Florida State Attorney Generals office? Would that be helpful? How did you submit your complaint? Phone?Email?Snailmail? I have to admit I have felt for years that they have been taking advantage of us but to be honest I didn't know what to do about it. So if you have some suggestions of what we should be doing has owners I am sure we would all be interested. Thanks Trish

I am not an attorney but I have contacted one in Florida for advice. 1). after explaining the dilemma at the Santa Barbara Resort she stated there are issues. I'm not going to get specific on this forum. She suggested the property owners send demand letters to the Santa Barbara Board of Directors and the management company, Wyndham Resorts asking for specific information regarding the shut down of the resort and where all the money from the "special assessments" is being spent. From my understanding several other owners have called Florida government agencies to complain about this situation and one agency actually did a "walk through" of the resort. I called the attorney generals office to complain that there is no accountability from Wydhams and our board and that I believe these "special assessments" are fraudulent on their faces because of negligence by both the management company (Wydham Resorts) and the Board of Directors of the Santa Barbara. This board was not registered with the state for several years yet they acted as a quasi-governmental agency to financially assess owners and I DO NOT BELIEVE that we are being told the truth, this is why I am sending demands letters requesting specific information, this information will be turned over to several agencies in the state of Florida including the Attorney Generals office. I am also waiting to file a complaint with the Federal Bureau of Investigations for interstate fraud. Then it is my turn.

My suggestions is for you to call the Florida Attorney Generals office and explain what is going on in your opinion, then send a Demand Notice to Wyndham Resorts and the Santa Barbara Board of Directors asking for very specific information about the insurance and estimates, bids and receipts for repairs of the building.

Before any legal action can be taken against anyone factual information will need to be gathered to build a case for an attorney.

DOes anyone have addresses and/or telephone numbers of FL Attorney General, Wyndham Resorts and the Santa Barbara board of directors? Has anyone tried the BBB?

Harold W.
Nov 05, 2007

haroldw42 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
patricia678 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:
My letter said Santa Barbara may be open in January 2008 but the target month is February 2008. In any case, though, the letter promised alternative accommodations in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

My week is in February and I'm planning to go assuming I'll have accommodations somewhere nice.

I wouldn't sell now. It's a bad time. I'd really try to pay these outrageous fees under the assumption it's a one time thing and continue to fight and learn all we can about how much the insurance paid, whether the insurance was adequate, and whether the Santa Barbara management had been keeping up the insurance premiums.

You can be assured this is NOT a one time thing. This is our 2nd special assessment in 12 years. There will be another after the next hurricane.
I have some information on the insurance. I also have received information on other issues about Santa Barbara. I'm about to send out my second demand letter requesting copies of the estimates and bids. I have also contacted the Florida State Attorney Generals office and placed a complaint of fraud against the Santa Barbara Board and Wyndham Resorts. They will be accountable to me for my property and my money they are spending.

Jeff,

Should all owners contact the Florida State Attorney Generals office? Would that be helpful? How did you submit your complaint? Phone?Email?Snailmail? I have to admit I have felt for years that they have been taking advantage of us but to be honest I didn't know what to do about it. So if you have some suggestions of what we should be doing has owners I am sure we would all be interested. Thanks Trish

I am not an attorney but I have contacted one in Florida for advice. 1). after explaining the dilemma at the Santa Barbara Resort she stated there are issues. I'm not going to get specific on this forum. She suggested the property owners send demand letters to the Santa Barbara Board of Directors and the management company, Wyndham Resorts asking for specific information regarding the shut down of the resort and where all the money from the "special assessments" is being spent. From my understanding several other owners have called Florida government agencies to complain about this situation and one agency actually did a "walk through" of the resort. I called the attorney generals office to complain that there is no accountability from Wydhams and our board and that I believe these "special assessments" are fraudulent on their faces because of negligence by both the management company (Wydham Resorts) and the Board of Directors of the Santa Barbara. This board was not registered with the state for several years yet they acted as a quasi-governmental agency to financially assess owners and I DO NOT BELIEVE that we are being told the truth, this is why I am sending demands letters requesting specific information, this information will be turned over to several agencies in the state of Florida including the Attorney Generals office. I am also waiting to file a complaint with the Federal Bureau of Investigations for interstate fraud. Then it is my turn.

My suggestions is for you to call the Florida Attorney Generals office and explain what is going on in your opinion, then send a Demand Notice to Wyndham Resorts and the Santa Barbara Board of Directors asking for very specific information about the insurance and estimates, bids and receipts for repairs of the building.

Before any legal action can be taken against anyone factual information will need to be gathered to build a case for an attorney.

DOes anyone have addresses and/or telephone numbers of FL Attorney General, Wyndham Resorts and the Santa Barbara board of directors? Has anyone tried the BBB?

I'M sending a certified letter to Wyndham Management requesting this information. I will post the results when I receive a response.

Steve Dennis

Steve D.

Last edited by sjdenn on Nov 05, 2007 09:42 AM

Nov 06, 2007

Since it has been verified that the Association & Management Company are working on rebuilding the resort, there is nothing much more we can do at this time. The case file will be kept active until the resort is back in operation either in January or February 2008.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Maria Mejia

Investigator

Bureau of Compliance

Office #407.317.7233; Fax #407.317.7230

maria.mejia@dbpr.state.fl.us

Here is what I received from Maria today. I'm still waiting for a response from the management company with answers to seven specific fees etc.

Steve Dennis

Steve D.
Nov 16, 2007

davidr422 wrote:
I received my special assessment AFTER it was due. Now they are trying to charge me $79 in late fees. After trying to figure out how they came up with that number, I referred to their letter which states that "late fees are calculated at 18% annually or 1.5% per DAY". It's supposed to be 1.5% per month! If anyone has been charged a late fee, you should do the math. We were charged late fees last year and now I'm going back to recalculate that too. I have not contacted them as of yet.

Additionally, if you do the math on the building, there are 52 owners (weeks) per unit (I believe there are 90 units). Now each owner has paid their $600 or so maintenance fee for two years with a net profit of $5.62 million. Now, they're saying they don't have enough money and are charging an additional fee of $685 (or so) in two installments which will net them an extra $6.4 million. So basically, in the last 2 years, they netted $12.02 million dollars without ever having a guest! Not a bad scam. As for class action, I'm definately in!

What is the cost to those of us who want to be part of the class action suit? Hopefully no cost just whatever the lawyer wants if we win. Please Let us know about this action? rpwhite30@gavtron.com

Richard W.
Nov 16, 2007

What is the cost to those of us who want to be part of the class action suit? Hopefully no cost just whatever the lawyer wants if we win. Please Let us know about this action? rpwhite30@gavtron.com

Richard W.
Nov 16, 2007

sjdenn wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
patricia678 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:

Jeff,

I'M sending a certified letter to Wyndham Management requesting this information. I will post the results when I receive a response.

Steve Dennis

Please let us know how we can help, for we want fairness not lies. Can someone write a paper or a petition to submit to a lawyer or the D.A. of Florida that the unit owner's can sign to get some help? rpwhite30@gavtron.com

Richard W.
Nov 28, 2007

richardw235 wrote:
sjdenn wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
patricia678 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:

Jeff,

Steve Dennis

Please let us know how we can help, for we want fairness not lies. Can someone write a paper or a petition to submit to a lawyer or the D.A. of Florida that the unit owner's can sign to get some help? rpwhite30@gavtron.com
Has anyone thought about getting the timeshare owners to put the property up for sale and split the profits? Is this a possibility or does wyndham have the rights to sell and not the unit owners? Are any of the owners lawyers that can check into this idea? rpwhite30@gavtron.com

Richard W.
Nov 28, 2007

richardw235 wrote:
davidr422 wrote:
I received my special assessment AFTER it was due. Now they are trying to charge me $79 in late fees. After trying to figure out how they came up with that number, I referred to their letter which states that "late fees are calculated at 18% annually or 1.5% per DAY". It's supposed to be 1.5% per month! If anyone has been charged a late fee, you should do the math. We were charged late fees last year and now I'm going back to recalculate that too. I have not contacted them as of yet.

Additionally, if you do the math on the building, there are 52 owners (weeks) per unit (I believe there are 90 units). Now each owner has paid their $600 or so maintenance fee for two years with a net profit of $5.62 million. Now, they're saying they don't have enough money and are charging an additional fee of $685 (or so) in two installments which will net them an extra $6.4 million. So basically, in the last 2 years, they netted $12.02 million dollars without ever having a guest! Not a bad scam. As for class action, I'm definately in!

Please count me in for a class action law suit. We are definitely being scammed and we are sickof it.

Harold W.
Nov 29, 2007

haroldw42 wrote:
richardw235 wrote:
davidr422 wrote:

Please count me in for a class action law suit. We are definitely being scammed and we are sickof it.
Who is working on this class action law suit and what will it cost us unit owners, for if the costs are large, we can not pay anymore out on this timeshare, but if the lawyer's fees are a % of the settlement than we want to be part of this type of suit. rpwhite

Richard W.
Nov 29, 2007

We have sent several e-mails to Lew Gordon the Pres. of our timeshare owner's organization and he replys that he is not getting them. So we keep sending them. We want some answers on how many of the 90 units times 12 are owned by Wyndham, how much more are we paying for foreclosure units on top of what we should pay for our unit. Plus we want to know if we can deed back our deeded unit to them. And when we die, who do our children get a hold of to send copies of our death certificates,for they do not want this debt and according to their lawyers they do not have to accept any deed they do not want. No reply from Mr. Gordon yet. rpwhite30@gavtron.com

Richard W.
Feb 02, 2008

I am another tortured deeded owner. Please add me to you Email ist.

Bob Novak 16436 Lee Ave Orland Park, Il 60467

MrNov@Aol.Com

Robert N.
Feb 02, 2008

mrnov wrote:

MrNov@Aol.Com

We heard from Lew Gordon once and then Wayne E. Jones,Operations Manager-Owner Services who answered our questions and said all the money was needed, but if it turns out that there is more than needed we could get some returned to us. He also said that many of the units are in foreclosure, so guess who had to pay for those units? Us. He also told me that they could not take anymore deeded units due to the fact they have a lot of the units that the people quit paying fees for and now the resort has to try and sell them. We sent another e-mail letting him know that we can not pay any more fees after this year, so they will have to foreclose on our deeded unit. We are not sure but we think that all they can do is come after our unit and not our home or anything else ,for our unit is paid for. But if someone out there knows that they can come after our other assets, please let us know. We are still trying to donate the unit and hopefully a charity will be able to sell it for hardly nothing. Our lawyer shared that one of his clients just quit paying maintenance fees and taxes on four paid units in Oklahoma and Florida and so far no one has come after this client's personal property. She like us can not afford these fees on our limited retirement incomes. When we purchased our unit in 1996, the salesman said when you do not want your unit anymore, it will be easy to sell. What a lie. Keep us in the loop on the class action suit. We still do not know if it is open, we guess we will look on the web site. The White's

Richard W.
Feb 03, 2008

For what it's worth, my wife just stopped in and the newly renovated property is open and running. She tells me that everything looks nicely updated and stylishly done.

Steven L.
Feb 03, 2008

richardw235 wrote:
mrnov wrote:

MrNov@Aol.Com

We heard from Lew Gordon once and then Wayne E. Jones,Operations Manager-Owner Services who answered our questions and said all the money was needed, but if it turns out that there is more than needed we could get some returned to us. He also said that many of the units are in foreclosure, so guess who had to pay for those units? Us. He also told me that they could not take anymore deeded units due to the fact they have a lot of the units that the people quit paying fees for and now the resort has to try and sell them. We sent another e-mail letting him know that we can not pay any more fees after this year, so they will have to foreclose on our deeded unit. We are not sure but we think that all they can do is come after our unit and not our home or anything else ,for our unit is paid for. But if someone out there knows that they can come after our other assets, please let us know. We are still trying to donate the unit and hopefully a charity will be able to sell it for hardly nothing. Our lawyer shared that one of his clients just quit paying maintenance fees and taxes on four paid units in Oklahoma and Florida and so far no one has come after this client's personal property. She like us can not afford these fees on our limited retirement incomes. When we purchased our unit in 1996, the salesman said when you do not want your unit anymore, it will be easy to sell. What a lie. Keep us in the loop on the class action suit. We still do not know if it is open, we guess we will look on the web site. The White's

Before you do anything, call an attorney. There are attorney services on the internet that allow one free advice call.

Harold W.
Feb 04, 2008

haroldw42 wrote:
richardw235 wrote:
mrnov wrote:

MrNov@Aol.Com

Before you do anything, call an attorney. There are attorney services on the internet that allow one free advice call.
DOES IT HAVE TO BE A FLORIDA ATTORNEY? THE WHITE'S

Richard W.
Feb 04, 2008

mrnov wrote:

MrNov@Aol.Com

Hi,

Another tortured deed owner here. the cost have been unbelievable, fell behind the late fee outrageous.

I have read a few of the postings, and would like to be added to the class action law suit. Can someone explain to be why we are absorbing foreclosure unit costs? If this is the case then shouldn't we own more weeks, if they are billing us for them, we should have the right to use them. Has anyone spoke to the director board about the compensation for loss, the bonus weeks with RCI are a joke. I would prefer to have bonus weeks at oiur resort free, i mean if we are paying the fees anyway. Just a thought. bdepaso@aol.com

Brenda D.
Feb 04, 2008

richardw235 wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
richardw235 wrote:
mrnov wrote:

MrNov@Aol.Com

DOES IT HAVE TO BE A FLORIDA ATTORNEY? THE WHITE'S
No, you should contact YOUR attorney for advice. Of course if you go on the web, you get an attorney that you don't know, but their advice is credible.

Harold W.
Feb 10, 2008

It's February. Is it open yet? MD

Mary D.
Feb 10, 2008

adahiscout wrote:
Yes. For what it's worth, my wife just stopped in and the newly renovated property is open and running. She tells me that everything looks nicely updated and stylishly done.

Steven L.
Feb 11, 2008

adahiscout wrote:
Yes, I am staying there right now. I will be staying there for 3 weeks ( I own 3 weeks). The resort is beautiful

Julie H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.