The Manhattan Club

the manhattan club

Sep 06, 2007

Hi all- Just got off the phone with reservations- there are no rooms available until Jan. with regards to Expedia he said they own rooms just like we all do. I didn't ask why my contract expires in Dec. ( I did not purchase in Jan.) maybe they should start varying contract dates so everyone doesn't have to use their time by Dec. 31. It would save on the rush for everyone to try and get Dec. time. Any suggestions on how I don't have to lose the 2 nights I have remaining- he put me on wait lists- but there is a slim to none chance of getting them I'm sure! Should I try calling owner services and not reservations to see if they'll extend the use by date? Holly

Holly W.
Sep 06, 2007

Holly, The contract dates do vary. I have one that ends March 31 and another at the end of June. If you call reservations and ask for any date between now and the end of the year they will frequently tell you that nothing is available because they have no way of checking every date. It is better to call and ask for specific dates. I am considering setting up a service to exchange dates for owners and was wondering if it would be of interest to you. Good luck, Jonathan

Jonathan P.
Sep 07, 2007

pixie wrote:
peter717 wrote:
Jonathan: Peter, I have reviewed the Manhattan Club document entitled Reservation and Occupancy Confirmation Procedures. I do not see anything which gives the Management Company the right to sell/allocate any usage at the Manhattan Club to companies such as Expedia. In fact, I see nothing which allows Management to rent any rooms to the general public except the following language:

"Bonus Time: The Management Company's right to rent to Owners and/or the general public those use periods which remain unreserved seventy-two (72) hours prior to the first day thereof."

I do not know whether the time Expedia posts as being available is time that has actually been sold to Manhattan Club owners and is subject to maintenance fees and taxes. It is possible the Manhattan Club has some units that have not been sold and which are not charged maintenance fees. If this is the case, I imagine it would be legal for the Management Company to release these rooms to Expedia.

I personally want to use 2 nights in December. I have been on a waiting list but I have been informed there is still no availability. However, when I go on Expedia I can pay to book the 2 nights I want. This does not seem right and I am going to try and get a clear cut answer from the Manhattan Club. If not, I am an attorney and have no misgivings about proceeding with whatever legal action is necessary against the Manhattan Club, it developers and Management Company.

I wish we could contact more owners, but we'll never be able to get the list from the MC. Did you read earlier from me that the man heading Timesharing Today is also an attorney and has helped owneres of resorts. I am really upset that the MC can double the maintenance fees and want us to pay them two months prior to when we're accustomed to paying for them. Can they do that? Lord knows what they'll be next time. Thanks Peter, for your willingness to do something about this. What can I do? Colleen

It seems to me that the key to improving our situation is to sue to get the list and emails of all of the owners so that we can communicate. The board refuses to send this list to owners for obvious reasons. Jonathan

Jonathan P.
Sep 22, 2007

Hi everyone, I am another dissatisfied owner that can not get her 4 days this year. We own 3/4 split Junior Studio since 2004. Until this year we had no problem reserving our days. This year I called in April, and there were no availability this year. Since the time I on a waiting list, that works very strangely I must say. I am willing to join any protest action that you plan. I believe we should have the right to contact other owners, in other words, get the owners list. Shall we write to the 2 owners board members and request an action from them? They should be able to represent us not just once a year but whenever there is an issue that management can not resolve. Tell me what do. I plan to write a letter to Attorney General. You can reach me at vera_80@hotmail.com just put 'MC Owners Protest Action' in the subject. Buy the way we may need to bradcast the situation on the inernet. Any ideas on other sites where it will get out to other dissatisfied owners? Vera

Vera T.
Sep 23, 2007

I have a question - The dates for contracts do vary- My contract date is in April- I haven't used any days- how do I go about renting a week? Do I have to reserve a week first and then list it?

June

June D.
Sep 23, 2007

juned22 wrote:
I have a question - The dates for contracts do vary- My contract date is in April- I haven't used any days- how do I go about renting a week? Do I have to reserve a week first and then list it?

June

Yes. Your use year apparently ends April 30 and you have to reserve a week in your name before you can rent it to anyone else. Let me know how it works and how hard it is to get your time. You can email me at jdp441@gmail.com.

Jonathan P.
Sep 23, 2007

veratop wrote:
Hi everyone, I am another dissatisfied owner that can not get her 4 days this year. We own 3/4 split Junior Studio since 2004. Until this year we had no problem reserving our days. This year I called in April, and there were no availability this year. Since the time I on a waiting list, that works very strangely I must say. I am willing to join any protest action that you plan. I believe we should have the right to contact other owners, in other words, get the owners list. Shall we write to the 2 owners board members and request an action from them? They should be able to represent us not just once a year but whenever there is an issue that management can not resolve. Tell me what do. I plan to write a letter to Attorney General. You can reach me at vera_80@hotmail.com just put 'MC Owners Protest Action' in the subject. Buy the way we may need to bradcast the situation on the inernet. Any ideas on other sites where it will get out to other dissatisfied owners? Vera
Vera, See if you can write to someone to get the list of all the other owners. I doubt you can. The MC makes sure that this list is not distributed and I believe the only way to do so is to file suit. Jonathan

Jonathan P.
Sep 24, 2007

jonathan2 wrote:
veratop wrote:
Vera, See if you can write to someone to get the list of all the other owners. I doubt you can. The MC makes sure that this list is not distributed and I believe the only way to do so is to file suit. Jonathan

What happened to Peter? I thought he might be our legal avenue.

Colleen K.
Sep 24, 2007

pixie wrote:
jonathan2 wrote:
veratop wrote:

What happened to Peter? I thought he might be our legal avenue.

I just wrote to Ray Jacobs, the head of Timesharing Today. I had been told by one of the NY Owners Group that he is an attorney and has helped people before. I will let you know if I hear from him. There was also a suggestion that we form a MC Owners Group on Yahoo. I don't know how to do that. It's obvious that to get anything done, we must be persistent, consistent and resolved to see the MC treat owners in a just way. Colleen

Colleen K.
Sep 28, 2007

howardb21 wrote:
caroled20 wrote:
pixie wrote:
jessicar61 wrote:
what do you think??????

I think the Manhattan Clubs units do not look as good now as they did when we bought in 2001. We were there almost a year and a half ago and will return in Dec. I wonder what we'll find. CK

I'm thinking about buying here, sight unseen. It sounds good, but is this someplace I'd be proud to bring a few girlfriends for a few days? Or is it beginning to look shabby? CD

the Manhattan Club is 10 yrs old this year I have 5 weeks there and its still the best of any timeshare I have been in Locatioin wise and value for the money the rooms are all getting a make over with flat panel LCD tvs ect

What did you mean when you said that it is the value for the money?Are not your maintaince fee over the edge?

Jerry O.
Sep 28, 2007

From June I called to reserve a week in Feb. They could only give me 5 days. No weekend included, I tried March, same thing. I asked the reservation rep about the whole Expedia deal. He told to read my contract- they have the right to do this. I need to dig my contract out, I just moved from Ct. to NC. Yes it is an awesome place to stay, my husband & I are from NY, however, if you can't get a reservation, what good does it do? I had to take the 5 days. My hands were tied, ain't that a shame?

June D.

Last edited by marty8084 on Sep 29, 2007 01:21 AM

Sep 28, 2007

juned22 wrote:
From June I called to reserve a week in Feb. They could only give me 5 days. No weekend included, I tried March, same thing. I asked the reservation rep about the whole Expedia deal. He told to read my contract- they have the right to do this. I need to dig my contract out, I just moved from Ct. to NC. Yes it is an awesome place to stay, my husband & I are from NY, however, if you can't get a reservation, what good does it do? I had to take the 5 days. My hands were tied, ain't that a shame?

Boy if a reservation rep. tells you thatthe Manhattan club has the right to rent rooms out within 72 hours of expiring time I can't find that in my contract , it does say that within 72 hrs if no owners call to reserve those time they can rent out , you need to get the name of the reps. so if we are able to get any action going we can use it.

Joconsecur

by value I mean I can always rent out my unit myself at a good profit with no problem and I have also sold one of my weeks at a small profit, not like other timeshare I own and can't rent at a cost to cover my maintance fees, I just recently got a free timeshare from some one I dont even know thru Tug, a five star resort because the person could not sell it. Yes the maintance fees for the MC are way out of wack just does not make sence to me

Howard B.

Last edited by marty8084 on Sep 29, 2007 01:15 AM

Sep 29, 2007

OK I will call agaim & get a res. rep name . I am sick of this garbage. It's always a fight to even get someone to answer the phone I paid a fortiune for this time share & I'm tired of fighting to get a res. Get back to y'all Mon.

June

June D.
Sep 30, 2007

juned22 wrote:
OK I will call agaim & get a res. rep name . I am sick of this garbage. It's always a fight to even get someone to answer the phone I paid a fortiune for this time share & I'm tired of fighting to get a res. Get back to y'all Mon.

June

This I say to June and everyone else. We have got to take some initiative beyond using this forum. I wrote that I have contacted the NY Owners' Group and also wrote to the owner of Timesharing today who has helped others owners. He's an attorney. (I have not heard from him. Next I will try to reach him by phone. Please read the details of these contacts in prior messages on this forum. No one has made any comments as to mine. Sometimes I feel that this is a venting forum, not an action forum. One thing I am convinced of is that the MC is not going to respond to us in any way that we would like. There are 13,000 owners, so we are of no concern to the MC unless many owners get involved or a certain number of us are willing to take the MC to task. (I could have been stronger there.) I live in Alaska, but I would go to NY if I had to, but I can't do it alone. No one person can fight this battle. Colleen

Colleen K.
Sep 30, 2007

pixie wrote:
juned22 wrote:

June

This I say to June and everyone else. We have got to take some initiative beyond using this forum. I wrote that I have contacted the NY Owners' Group and also wrote to the owner of Timesharing today who has helped others owners. He's an attorney. (I have not heard from him. Next I will try to reach him by phone. Please read the details of these contacts in prior messages on this forum. No one has made any comments as to mine. Sometimes I feel that this is a venting forum, not an action forum. One thing I am convinced of is that the MC is not going to respond to us in any way that we would like. There are 13,000 owners, so we are of no concern to the MC unless many owners get involved or a certain number of us are willing to take the MC to task. (I could have been stronger there.) I live in Alaska, but I would go to NY if I had to, but I can't do it alone. No one person can fight this battle. Colleen

Colleen, I hear you. I sent an em

Vera T.
Sep 30, 2007

pixie wrote:
juned22 wrote:

June

Colleen, I hear you. I sent an email to Peter at Docdefender@hotmail.com; have not yet got a reply. What is the next step that you suggest to take? I am watching the thread and checking my emails quite often.

Vera.

Vera T.
Oct 01, 2007

Colleen- Allright- I'll do what I can- I'm not an attorney, nor is my husband- If anyone suggests a legal avenue that will correct this problem have them contact the forum- I don't want to vent-I want action . I want to call,be treated respectfully, and not have to waste days because I can't be accomodated due to non-owners taking up dates.

June

June D.
Oct 01, 2007

juned22 wrote:
Colleen- Allright- I'll do what I can- I'm not an attorney, nor is my husband- If anyone suggests a legal avenue that will correct this problem have them contact the forum- I don't want to vent-I want action . I want to call,be treated respectfully, and not have to waste days because I can't be accomodated due to non-owners taking up dates.

June

It was wonderful to read your messages, Vera and June. I've contacted Peter twice and hope he responds. Also hope to find out something from the Timesharing Today guy. Those 2 are the legal sources. I don't know who else can help. I don't have any legal expertise. But let us not be deterred. Let us at least learn whether we have a legal leg to stand on. Many thanks, Colleen

Colleen K.
Oct 01, 2007

pixie wrote:
juned22 wrote:

June

It was wonderful to read your messages, Vera and June. I've contacted Peter twice and hope he responds. Also hope to find out something from the Timesharing Today guy. Those 2 are the legal sources. I don't know who else can help. I don't have any legal expertise. But let us not be deterred. Let us at least learn whether we have a legal leg to stand on. Many thanks, Colleen

Say, is Jonathon still in this forum. Maybe I was confused. Are you the attorney and Peter isn't? How do we sue to get the owner list and what does that cost? Thank you, Colleen

Colleen K.
Oct 02, 2007

I don't know who the attorney is, I just want to know what can be done (if anything) to stop non owners from taking up dates that should be available to owners. I din't realize this was such a tremendous problem. I dont know what I was thinking when I thought I was the only one who they gave a hard time to. Also, understand that the reservations people are part of a different union,as are the front desk staff there. If you don't get satisfaction- that is why. They dont care if you get a room or not. They are covered by very strict union regs. any every dept. in the MC is part of their own union.

June

June D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.