Club Wyndham Santa Barbara

Special Assessment / Class Action Lawsuit!

Aug 06, 2007

Just received a letter from Wyndham. They tell us that the resort will be ready in January 08 to February. When you go to the web site listed to view the current condition, it does not reflect the pictures I sent many of you that were taken on 6-22-07. I have not heard anything from the Florida agency concerning the complaints that we all have filed.

Of course I received the 2nd "Special Assessment" due on 9-01-07.

Steve Dennis stevem5@comcast.net

Steve D.
Aug 10, 2007

sjdenn wrote:
We just recieved pictures of the current condition of the resort and here is the opinion of the person who was there yesterday,6/22/07.

As you can see, there is a chain link fence around the property. There are still a few boarded up windows, junk out in the front parking lot, boxes of tile in front of the main entrance, a large crane on site. The good news is, there were several crews inside (I could hear them) and one crew outside working on the renovation. Not knowing what all still needs to be done, I would be shocked if the place is open for business before the Colts lose their second game. If I go by there again, I will give you an update.

We need to contact everyone who owns a week there.

My husband and I are very upset with Wyndham over this We are going to sell if we can. Glad to know about other owners. We have felt isolated. Denise

Denise D.
Aug 10, 2007

My letter said Santa Barbara may be open in January 2008 but the target month is February 2008. In any case, though, the letter promised alternative accommodations in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

My week is in February and I'm planning to go assuming I'll have accommodations somewhere nice.

I wouldn't sell now. It's a bad time. I'd really try to pay these outrageous fees under the assumption it's a one time thing and continue to fight and learn all we can about how much the insurance paid, whether the insurance was adequate, and whether the Santa Barbara management had been keeping up the insurance premiums.

Does anyone have information on this?

We're not alone. Together we can ensure accountability.

Emily W.
Aug 13, 2007

Hi,

We were buyers during construction of the resort and have been paying for ten years maint. fees always current. We paid the special assessment in 2005 and paid the first installment in June. We just received our bill due Sept. 1 for another $625.00. Also a letter that states a grand reopening is scheduled for February1,2008. We are very frustrated and suspicious of where all the money is going. I posted last year on another thread when I visited the resort and by all observances NOTHING was being done to repair. Include us and keep us in touch. Send pictures, letters.

Conny S.

Last edited by connys on Apr 15, 2010 04:57 PM

Aug 21, 2007

Jeff, I just found this forum on RedWeek.com and called your phone number to leave a message. We have been trying to sell our week for the last six months but it hasn't sold, probably because the resort is closed and the week is not tradable through RCI. We haven't paid the assessment yet and are concerned about our credit rating should we default. Do you know if it has been confirmed if turning the deed in to the homeowner's association is an option? Please contact me regarding any details you might have on these issues. E-mail address: laraeski@msn.com 928-771-9711 Thanks for your time. Neil

La Rae L.
Aug 21, 2007

laraeski wrote:
Jeff, I just found this forum on RedWeek.com and called your phone number to leave a message. We have been trying to sell our week for the last six months but it hasn't sold, probably because the resort is closed and the week is not tradable through RCI. We haven't paid the assessment yet and are concerned about our credit rating should we default. Do you know if it has been confirmed if turning the deed in to the homeowner's association is an option? Please contact me regarding any details you might have on these issues. E-mail address: laraeski@msn.com 928-771-9711 Thanks for your time. Neil
Neil, I sent a letter to the Santa Barbara Board asking them if they would take over 3 of my timeshares there. I explained that they were desirable weeks (February) and never heard from them. Please let me know if you get anywhere with turning yours in. Regards, Julie Horkheimer jlhork@aol.com

Julie H.
Sep 15, 2007

jeff1112 wrote:
I just received a "special assessment", 1st payment is over $700 due June 1st, the 2nd is due Sept. 1st. The letter states it is due because the resort was under insured. Is anyone interested in filing a class action lawsuit against the Santa Barbara resort the association Board and Wyndham resorts, the management company? I will go it alone if I have too. We paid our normal assessments to insure our investments were secure. I believe I have been scammed. I paid a visit to the resort last December 06 and the was absolutely no progress then. Please email me if you are interested. jdss@hotmail.com. I also have taken numerous pictures of the damage. I find it amazing that all the other Wyndham managed resorts in the area have been in operation for quit a while now!
We also have paid our 2 installments of the special assessment and feel ripped off. We haven't been able to use it for 2 years, the 1st of which we were still assessed the normal assessment. I would llike full particulars regarding the class action lawsuit.

Harold W.
Sep 15, 2007

We also feel ripped off. We haven't been able to use it for 2 years, yet we were assessed the normal assessment the first year when they knowing full well that they would not be open. We are trying desperately to sell. We would like to be included in info regarding a class astion law suit. We have our attorney looking into the matter and have thus yet to pay the Sept. assessment. Guess what? There will be another assessment in December. Pleasse contact me at hwieland@charter.net

Harold W.

Last edited by haroldw42 on Sep 15, 2007 05:11 PM

Oct 02, 2007

We just received a letter from the Owners Association stating that a Budget Approval Meeting is scheduled for October 16,2007 at 4PM EST. They are planning to assess increased maintenance fees. Studio $577.70,OneBDR $686.81, TwoBDR $746.57 and these amts do not include Property Taxes. I am very suspicious of every thing they do now. I thought it very odd, perhaps contrived, that the meeting is on a Tuesday when it will be hard for most people to attend. I am fed up with all the assessments and fees. Why didn't insurance cover the repairs? Why wasn't some covered by reserves? This is a MONEY PIT!

Conny S.
Oct 03, 2007

emilyw28 wrote:
My letter said Santa Barbara may be open in January 2008 but the target month is February 2008. In any case, though, the letter promised alternative accommodations in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

My week is in February and I'm planning to go assuming I'll have accommodations somewhere nice.

I wouldn't sell now. It's a bad time. I'd really try to pay these outrageous fees under the assumption it's a one time thing and continue to fight and learn all we can about how much the insurance paid, whether the insurance was adequate, and whether the Santa Barbara management had been keeping up the insurance premiums.

You can be assured this is NOT a one time thing. This is our 2nd special assessment in 12 years. There will be another after the next hurricane.

Harold W.
Oct 04, 2007

haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:

You can be assured this is NOT a one time thing. This is our 2nd special assessment in 12 years. There will be another after the next hurricane.
I have some information on the insurance. I also have received information on other issues about Santa Barbara. I'm about to send out my second demand letter requesting copies of the estimates and bids. I have also contacted the Florida State Attorney Generals office and placed a complaint of fraud against the Santa Barbara Board and Wyndham Resorts. They will be accountable to me for my property and my money they are spending.

Jeff A.
Oct 05, 2007

jeff1112 wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:

I have some information on the insurance. I also have received information on other issues about Santa Barbara. I'm about to send out my second demand letter requesting copies of the estimates and bids. I have also contacted the Florida State Attorney Generals office and placed a complaint of fraud against the Santa Barbara Board and Wyndham Resorts. They will be accountable to me for my property and my money they are spending.

Jeff,

Should all owners contact the Florida State Attorney Generals office? Would that be helpful? How did you submit your complaint? Phone?Email?Snailmail? I have to admit I have felt for years that they have been taking advantage of us but to be honest I didn't know what to do about it. So if you have some suggestions of what we should be doing has owners I am sure we would all be interested. Thanks Trish

Patricia C.
Oct 05, 2007

patricia678 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:

Jeff,

Should all owners contact the Florida State Attorney Generals office? Would that be helpful? How did you submit your complaint? Phone?Email?Snailmail? I have to admit I have felt for years that they have been taking advantage of us but to be honest I didn't know what to do about it. So if you have some suggestions of what we should be doing has owners I am sure we would all be interested. Thanks Trish

I am not an attorney but I have contacted one in Florida for advice. 1). after explaining the dilemma at the Santa Barbara Resort she stated there are issues. I'm not going to get specific on this forum. She suggested the property owners send demand letters to the Santa Barbara Board of Directors and the management company, Wyndham Resorts asking for specific information regarding the shut down of the resort and where all the money from the "special assessments" is being spent. From my understanding several other owners have called Florida government agencies to complain about this situation and one agency actually did a "walk through" of the resort. I called the attorney generals office to complain that there is no accountability from Wydhams and our board and that I believe these "special assessments" are fraudulent on their faces because of negligence by both the management company (Wydham Resorts) and the Board of Directors of the Santa Barbara. This board was not registered with the state for several years yet they acted as a quasi-governmental agency to financially assess owners and I DO NOT BELIEVE that we are being told the truth, this is why I am sending demands letters requesting specific information, this information will be turned over to several agencies in the state of Florida including the Attorney Generals office. I am also waiting to file a complaint with the Federal Bureau of Investigations for interstate fraud. Then it is my turn.

My suggestions is for you to call the Florida Attorney Generals office and explain what is going on in your opinion, then send a Demand Notice to Wyndham Resorts and the Santa Barbara Board of Directors asking for very specific information about the insurance and estimates, bids and receipts for repairs of the building.

Before any legal action can be taken against anyone factual information will need to be gathered to build a case for an attorney.

Jeff A.

Last edited by jeff1112 on Oct 05, 2007 06:24 AM

Oct 26, 2007

Well, here we go again. Now we received a bill for maintenance fees, etc. for 2008. We are being billed $618.70 for a studio. We have always had until January 1 to pay in the past. They just sent these out. We received on 10/25/2007 and it is due on 11/15/07. This would be no problem if we hadn't already paid the other two assessments this year. I feel like I should get several weeks for all the money I've spent on this money pit this year. It has really soured me on timeshare. I tell anyone who asks me- DON'T DO IT. Rent from owners through HomeAway or VRBO and enjoy your vacation without all the timeshare headaches and being trapped for life.

Conny S.
Nov 01, 2007

patricia678 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:

Jeff,

======== If reopening is scheduled for early 2008, might it not be best to hold off for a bit and not divert your fees and assessments into defending against class action suits? Isn't a nicely renovated Santa Barbara ASAP what you really want?

The possibility of hurricanes in Florida is not exactly "news" nor are they anybody's fault. If this has become all too clear, consider rolling your Florida ownership into a new purchase elsewhere in the FF/W system. Great new place in Wisconsin Dells! Of course, we can't guarantee against an occasional tornado! MD

Mary D.
Nov 02, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
patricia678 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:

Jeff,

======== If reopening is scheduled for early 2008, might it not be best to hold off for a bit and not divert your fees and assessments into defending against class action suits? Isn't a nicely renovated Santa Barbara ASAP what you really want?

The possibility of hurricanes in Florida is not exactly "news" nor are they anybody's fault. If this has become all too clear, consider rolling your Florida ownership into a new purchase elsewhere in the FF/W system. Great new place in Wisconsin Dells! Of course, we can't guarantee against an occasional tornado! MD

We must have accountability from the board. We -- and certainly Wyndham and the Santa Barbara board -- all know hurricaines occur frequently in Florida. That is not the issue. The issue is that this hurricaine occurred more than two years ago and, until very recently, no work was conducted to restore the resort.

In addition, it is clear from the obscenely excessive multiple special assessments demanded of individual owners this year that the resort's insurance policy was not adequate. Either the resort was not properly insured, as required by law, or the premiums were not paid.

When the resort opens, we must ensure the new board is both competent and accountable to the owners.

To ensure that the necessary insurance is in place, and to protect our financial interests, we must work together to demand that OUR resort is operated ethically and efficiently.

We can not trust Wyndham or the board to do the right thing or even, it seems increasingly obvious, the legally required thing.

Soured on timeshares? Disgusted with Wyndham and the Santa Barbara board? Interested in suing? You bet!!

Emily W.
Nov 02, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
patricia678 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:

Jeff,

You must be CRAZY! This place has been closed for almost 3 years now. Wyndham and the Board of Directors were supposed to have insurance to pay for hurricane damage. I found out Wyndam has a $200 million dollar blanket insurance policy and that our board may have purchased an insurance package from them? Isn't it amazing that I can not find out what exactly our insurance covered, or if we had insurance at all. If this building was not adequately covered then Wyndam and the Board have some serious legal problems. Why are the owners paying to rebuild this building if it had adequate insurance? Several people that I know have already lost their interest in this place because they can't afford to pay multiple "assessments". In my opinion we have been scammed by both the Board and Wyndam, but that will be for the law and the attorneys to decide.

My question to you! Why are all the Wyndam Resorts in the area OPEN and have been since shortly after the hurricane that closed the Santa Barbara?

My opinion is this place was not insured and Wyndam and the Board is covering up this fact by charging special assessments to cover the cost of the repairs. That is FRAUD! A reasonable person would expect their Board of Directors to adequately insure the interest they were assigned to maintain!

Yes, all owners should contact the Florida Attorney Generals Office and provide the paper work you have received from Wyndam and the Board. You should also contact the local law enforcement and file a complaint for fraud. I plan on doing that ASAP.

The owners of this place need to hold the Board and Wyndams accountable.

Jeff A.
Nov 02, 2007

jeff1112 wrote:
adahiscout wrote:
patricia678 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:

Jeff,

You must be CRAZY! This place has been closed for almost 3 years now. Wyndham and the Board of Directors were supposed to have insurance to pay for hurricane damage. I found out Wyndam has a $200 million dollar blanket insurance policy and that our board may have purchased an insurance package from them? Isn't it amazing that I can not find out what exactly our insurance covered, or if we had insurance at all. If this building was not adequately covered then Wyndam and the Board have some serious legal problems. Why are the owners paying to rebuild this building if it had adequate insurance? Several people that I know have already lost their interest in this place because they can't afford to pay multiple "assessments". In my opinion we have been scammed by both the Board and Wyndam, but that will be for the law and the attorneys to decide.

My question to you! Why are all the Wyndam Resorts in the area OPEN and have been since shortly after the hurricane that closed the Santa Barbara?

My opinion is this place was not insured and Wyndam and the Board is covering up this fact by charging special assessments to cover the cost of the repairs. That is FRAUD! A reasonable person would expect their Board of Directors to adequately insure the interest they were assigned to maintain!

Yes, all owners should contact the Florida Attorney Generals Office and provide the paper work you have received from Wyndam and the Board. You should also contact the local law enforcement and file a complaint for fraud. I plan on doing that ASAP.

The owners of this place need to hold the Board and Wyndams accountable.

====== We owned at Palm Aire at the time of the hurricane. It took some damage, but from the first it was said that the Santa Barbara was worst hit. Since it was a single tall building rather than a group of lower buildings, I suppose this makes sense. (Not that hurricanes always do make sense). Palm Aire was partly closed for a time, but I believe it is all up and running now. I notice that the current directory indicates that they hoped to have Santa Barbara open by the end of this year, but January or February may be more realistic. I'm sure you are aware that Florida insurance companies have been hard hit and are trying to keep their losses down by paying....conservatively with "all deliberate speed". Wyndham and the owners association should certainly be keeping owners posted in detail as to what is going on. MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Nov 02, 2007 09:48 PM

Nov 03, 2007

THRU ALL THIS HAS ANYONE GOTTON A FIRM DATE WHEN THE SB IS GOING TO BE OPEN.....OR IS ANOTHER YEAR OF FALSE PROMISES AND OUR AIR LINE TICKET IS USELESS........ WHAT WE HAVE IS A FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE, LET ALONE COMPENSATE FROM THE BIG WIND COMP. IS IT FAIR THAT THE JAN AND FED OWNERS SHOULD BE IN THIS LIMBO.. AND IF OUR UNITS ARE NOT READY AGAIN WHY CAN'T WE HAVE THE OPTION OF NOT PAYING THE THIRD ASSESMENT IN 2007

John J.
Nov 04, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
patricia678 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
haroldw42 wrote:
emilyw28 wrote:

Jeff,

So, how long have you been a kool-aid drinker? The answer is absolutely not. We are so fed up with Timeshares that we want out. As long as we are doing it, why not get some compensation for all the bogus charges thus far? Does any one have connections in Florida regarding an attorney? We should quit complaning and do something constructive...like getting an attorney?

Harold W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.