Point Systems

Marriott Going to Point Syst

Nov 21, 2011

This splits Marriott into 2 different publicly traded entities. The stock symbols are MAR and VAC. The former Marriott "MAR" shareholders will get one share of VAC for each "10" MAR shares they own. I actually believe this will be of benefit to us as owners. It seems too early to look for a villain in this.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Nov 21, 2011 10:18 PM

Nov 22, 2011

It's very simple. Timeshare companies make a fortune selling points. What are points ? They are simply air. You don't have a deed and you own nothing but their promise. They can sell as many poins as they want for as much as they want. You get a promise that you can use them. If they over sell them they don't care. If you try to book a week and it's filled they just tell you it's not available and you have to settle for another time that you don't want. It's a huge scam. Just like the treasury dept. they can create all the points they want just like printing money. The problem is that it becomes under valued and you are at their mercy to use them. I am so glad I got rid of my timeshares.

Don P.
Nov 22, 2011

Donp:

Rather than paint an entire industry with the same brush, why don't you disclose the name of the organization that sold you the "junker" points. Doing so would caution readers from doing business with them.

I doubt that you have any basis for criticism of Marriott's point option as it has only been out for about 18 months. Really now, have you ever had anything to do with the Marriot points program?

Incidentally, I have used Marriott destination points to secure 7 separate reservations of at least 5 days each since the destinations program began in June 2010, each without incident. I've actually found the point system to be a great addition to my options.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Nov 22, 2011 08:33 PM

Nov 23, 2011

donp196 wrote:
It's very simple. Timeshare companies make a fortune selling points. What are points ? They are simply air. You don't have a deed and you own nothing but their promise. They can sell as many poins as they want for as much as they want. You get a promise that you can use them. If they over sell them they don't care. If you try to book a week and it's filled they just tell you it's not available and you have to settle for another time that you don't want. It's a huge scam. Just like the treasury dept. they can create all the points they want just like printing money. The problem is that it becomes under valued and you are at their mercy to use them. I am so glad I got rid of my timeshares.

Your "simple" explanation is simply not correct.

Points are typically tied directly to total room nights available for a property that is being sold by a developer. Additionally, when timeshare resorts are registered, most state real estate commissions require the timeshare (point) plan must be disclosed. Developers must disclose the relationship of total points to total nights available at a resort - so as to assure points are not "oversold. "

Unfortunately, the points associated with the offseason / transitional nights also get sold/ deeded to buyers that buy with the intention of requesting demand for peak season time. This has a tendency to "turbo charge" demand for peak season times at point resorts - making it difficult for all requests during these peak season times to be fulfilled.

R Michael F.
Jan 04, 2012

I really feel going to the point system after all these years is a big mistake.................................

It looks like all of the owners are really upset.

You need to try something that doesn't lessen the quality of Marriott.

Jimmie

Jimmie D.
Jan 05, 2012

rm5 wrote:
donp196 wrote:

Your "simple" explanation is simply not correct.

Points are typically tied directly to total room nights available for a property that is being sold by a developer. Additionally, when timeshare resorts are registered, most state real estate commissions require the timeshare (point) plan must be disclosed. Developers must disclose the relationship of total points to total nights available at a resort - so as to assure points are not "oversold. "

Unfortunately, the points associated with the offseason / transitional nights also get sold/ deeded to buyers that buy with the intention of requesting demand for peak season time. This has a tendency to "turbo charge" demand for peak season times at point resorts - making it difficult for all requests during these peak season times to be fulfilled.

You are sadly misinformed, there is no tie to unit weeks that are available and the number of points that are sold... Ask any Diamond Resorts International member, its a rip off

Michael D.
Jan 21, 2012

It is probably time to say something good about the Marriott point system. First, I have not seen any erosion in my ability to use our 7 owned weeks since enrolling our weeks in the new Destination Points program. Second, I have enjoyed the additional option of using a day or two rather than an entire week. In my view, the Destinations (points based) program added some valuable options and needed flexibility to our vacation program.

Try this one that you couldn't do before Destinations. Recently, my son mentioned that he wanted to go to Myrtle Beach for this weekend. I remember hearing something about discounts in the number of points needed to acquire somewhat immediate reservations. I found that I could acquire the days for a 25 to nearly 30% discount in points for this reservation. I figured that depending on how you value the points - this cost an equivalent of $150 to $200 for three nights in a two bedroom unit including two weekend nights.

Folks, this is pretty good; and, this is not based upon unfounded speculation. Yes, I do own weeks and points. I am not a Marriott employee.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Jan 21, 2012 02:59 PM

Jan 21, 2012

This is how it is supposed to work. No one said that all timeshares are bad, but there are bad ones out there. It's refreshing to hear these positive stories.

Don P.
Jan 22, 2012

Try being an owner of fixed weeks at Christmas time and now having to stand BEHIND points people to get your week. You get what is left over re days to check in because Marriott salespeople tell customers to buy points so they can check in ahead of the fixed week owners who have fixed days they can check in!! You are very fortunate you have not had problems! It also DECREASES the units available for you to choose from as units are now removed out to a "different" pool. How can it be different if you bought into 100 units (e.g.) and now you have 50 to choose from because the rest have been moved out into points use!?!!!!

klalaw
Jan 22, 2012

I had thought the same thing regarding point owners overtaking the inventory. In both the "owner's meeting" and our private sales meeting we were assured that there are two banks of inventory. Hey there either is or isn't. Lots of smoke and mirrors going on here. Don't our Board Members have the authority to get to the bottom this issue and see the books?

Julie V.
Jan 22, 2012

I have two (2-bedroom) time share units at Marriott Maui Ocean Club, in the new villas. I have to say that I was very upset/angry when the point system was first announced and I have not signed up for the Destination Points program. Honestly, I have not seen a disadvantage to being a deeded owner. I book 13 months in advance, like I always do. Last year I was actually in Maui when I needed to book and the time difference messed me up so when I called in the middle of the day, the Saturday I wanted was already gone. I waited to book at 12 months in advance and got the dates I wanted. If I want to extend my stay a full week, I rent on this site. If I want to just add a day or two I rent directly from the hotel. I don't think I have been impacted by the point system. Of course, I have never wanted to trade for any other location. We bought in Maui because that is where we want to vacation. I was in the Owner's meeting last year and someone did ask about the deeded vs point inventory. The board insisted there were two inventories, and I believe that. A friend wanted to buy at this resort last October but wanted a deeded week because they wanted a guaranty they would always be able to return to Maui. The salesperson told them with points there is no guaranty they will always get what they want. I think deeded owners do have an advantage. I am very happy with Marriott....now that I've calmed down about the points program and for me personally, haven't experienced any negatives.

Judith D.
Jan 23, 2012

To: Dennish 144 (re the 1/21/12 post) It seems that the negative responses to this program are from those who haven't tried it. Hence, my response to you if you don't mind. I hold two/two bedroom deeded weeks in the Caribbean and, of course, have been contacted by Marriott sales to enhance the deal. If you don't mind a couple of questions 1) at what level did you buy DC points to make it worthwhile, i.e., 1000 pts, 1500 pts., etc and 2) what is your yearly maintenance fee on those points? I do wish Sales would stop offering these at "$2K" as if it were $2,000 instead of $20,000 for 1500 pts. That sin of omission does not speak well for market tactics. If I did buy in I would have a total of 8650 DC points, should I choose, but am not sure that it would really significantly add to what I've already got. Thanks for any light you can shed of this.

Bodie

Last edited by melissav66 on Jan 23, 2012 10:09 AM

Jan 23, 2012

I recall reading that Marriott International was exiting the timeshare business and it looks to me as if they have done so by simply lending or perhaps selling their good name to a timeshare company that may or may not prove to be as responsive as Marriott International has been to "owners" in the past. I am considering buying a timeshare but after reading many of the posts here I am wondering why anyone would buy a timeshare rather than simply renting. Amyone?

Roy B.
Jan 23, 2012

Reply to Melissa's posting:

1) We bought 2,500 pts because the incentives brought the net cost down under $9 pt - it was the best "net cost" deal. We already have 5 enrolled wks - potential 20,000+ pts. I thought $9 pt was plenty high, and, considering the alternatives, paying over this is just nuts. 2) Maint fees for 2012 are $0.41 per pt.

Before you buy pts, think about buying a week in the aftermarket. For example, you can buy a Newport Coast platinum week for under $9,000 and it trades very well thru Interval. In a nutshell - $25,000 for 2,500 pts that "will not" get you an equivalent week to what you can buy for $9,000. We actually bought two Newport Plat wks last year for $8,000 each before buying points.

I think you are on the right track by questioning how many "more" points you really need. You can also get what you want at a lower cost by merely renting on Redweek. To me, renting is the most flexible and lowest cost option. It also preserves cash and eliminates the disposition problem.

I'm sure others can also share their views.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Jan 23, 2012 03:21 PM

Jan 23, 2012

To Dennish

Thank you for your input. I remember a sales person telling me that Newport Beach was very, very popular particularly with people from Arizona. It's just about 40 miles down the coast from me. Renting sounds like the optimum choice, though. Sounds like you really know how to maximize your investment.

Bodie
Jan 23, 2012

I own three deeded weeks. The annual maintenance fees being what they are and going up every year, if had to do it over again, I would rent not buy. In many locations, you can rent through Red Week for what the fees are or a little more. Save your money. Don't buy, rent.

William K.
Jan 23, 2012

Points are overpriced -

Points are really overpriced in relation to their yield (in terms of a reservation) when compared to good weeks available for resale. I think the bottom has fallen out of the market for Marriott timeshare resales. The question then is whether one should pay $5 to $6 (a points purchase) for something you could buy for a $1 (an aftermarket week). The incremental attributes of the points program cannot possibly compensate for such a large difference.

Someone, please tell me why I am wrong.

Incidentally, I agree with others that renting thru Redweek is still the best option in terms of flexibility and cost.

Den
Jan 29, 2012

I just have to say I LOVE the old Marriott program. I have stayed with II because I pretty much get what I want when I request it. I also love the extra XYZ bonus weeks that they offer with trades. These are 2 for one weeks offered at several locations. They don't tell you about these unless you ask. Last year off my one week we traveled 4 times!

We didn't get into owing a time share till about 3 years ago. We bought on the secondary market and that was the best! We bought a gold week off red weeks site for $3,000.00. The resort price was $25000.00. We did join the points program because we were grandfathered into the program with our week that we purchased on the secondary market. So we have every right that owners do that bought directly from Marriott. We have never been disappointed with the Marriott Properties, We have stayed at several over the years. Those stays are the reason we decided to purchase Marriott. I love the opportunities to travel to beautiful spots around the world!

If there is a negative it is that these properties are getting older and they need maintenance so I don't like that the fees continue to increase!

I have called my Marriott rep several times and educated myself as to how to use each program. I think every time I call I learn or relearn something new. Interval reps as well. They are there to help.

Happy Travels!!!

Janet H.
Jan 29, 2012

Your conclusions are valid.

J E.
Feb 02, 2012

Does anyone know if Destination points can be sold?

Robert W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.