Point Systems

Marriott Going to Point Syst

May 30, 2011

Actually points can be moved to the next year if done by June 30th.

J E.
May 31, 2011

You know it is funny that you say that because that is what they told us during the sales presentation too. But when we went to do that in April they told us we couldn't (the Marriott Destinations Club number).

So, now I am not sure and will have to ask again.

Thanks

L M.
May 31, 2011

I'm sure that any 2011 points can be moved to 2012 if done so by June 30th. (However, that precludes you from being able to use these points the remainder of 2011.)

J E.
Jun 13, 2011

The inventory with Interval International has been much smaller lately. We had to take a studio suite for the week that we had with Interval (it was expiring this year) because the equivalent 2 bedroom we have at Waiohai Kauai was not available anywhere we could go.

Tina M.
Jun 15, 2011

Tried to rent my week in St Thomas, submitted it for rent, but they turned it down. It is the low season week however.

We paid the fee joined the Destination points system but haven't used it yet. Seems a lot more flexible in terms of how it might be used but as using any timeshare, you've got to figure out the best way to make use of the thing for your needs. We liked the idea of checking in any day, staying any number of days. That will work really much better for us than 7 days, only checking in on weekends. Weekends are much, much higher in terms of points usage than Sunday-Thursday.

We went through the new "sales presentation" this past week in Orlando where the nice gentleman wanted us to purchase "points" in the new system rather than deeded property under the old. They wanted $15K for 1500 points, etc, 2000 pts for 20K, etc. I think it's going to be a more difficult sale. Having 3 weeks in the old Marriott system, we didn't see the need to purchase points right now.

David
Jun 16, 2011

Has anybody investigated how Marriott intends to control the number of points they charge per night? For example 2011 - weekday in August is 250 weekend 750 2012 - weekday in August is 275 weekend 800 2013 - weekday in August is 300 weekend 850

It seems to me that by 2020 you will be lucky to get 2 nights stay for your present week.

Robert W.
Jun 16, 2011

Since the points for 2011 and 2012 are listed on the Marriott site as the same number of points, and since 2013 is not listed yet, where did you get the above list of points?

J E.
Jun 16, 2011

That is my point, does anybody know? Marriott has complete control on the number on points per night, so who knows what they will charge in future years.

The points they are offering per week do not cover the same week in your home resort, so it can only get worse for the owner.

I have not transferred to the point system as it has no major benefits for my one week. I will carry on, as before with II, for a few years and see if the deal gets any better, if the inventory for trading gets worse I think I will just dump it and go back to renting as and when required.

Robert W.
Jun 16, 2011

"The points they are offering per week do not cover the same week in your home resort"

So, don't convert to points, just reserve in the old way if you want to use your "home resort" week.

Paul G.
Jun 17, 2011

We have three weeks and have always traded for another Marriott property. Doing that, made the old system through II with the fees and membership expensive. I changed to the points system to save a few bucks but have no intention of ever using the point system. As others pointed out, you are better off trading week for week. The points are not a good deal. Marriott is a great company, but they still have some work to do on this system if they want to keep their loyal customers.

William K.
Jun 18, 2011

Why am I not surprised. I had a Marriott Ocean Club oceanfront unit deposited with Interval before we went with the Destination Points or old week use option; with that option came the 'bonus" of 800 Destination points that had to be used within one year. My Interval membership was expiring, and even though the new option includes an Interval membership in the $199 Marriott annual fee, I had to pay for an extra year with Interval if I wanted to use the already deposited week for a trade. So, I paid for one additional year. I then traded for a week at Surf Watch in November. Next, I tried to use the 800 points to extend our time - sorry, can't guarantee that you stay in the same room - "different inventories". Then, I tried to upgrade from a 2 BR to a 3 BR using the 800 points - sorry, can't use points with an Interval reservation - "different inventories". My options - I can use the points to get a studio for 5 days and maybe it will be close to the 2 BR. I even tried to upgrade to the 3 BR by paying cash. Not possible. What really burns me up is that the sales pitch was how simple the new system would be, that we would still be in Interval if we wanted to trade to an Interval property, that we could be so "flexible". Of course, I can deposit my 2013 weeks for points and "borrow" from them, or better yet, I can purchase another week from Marriott in the new point system. How sweet.

Susan W.
Jun 18, 2011

You are correct.. As an example, they give you 4,000 points credit for your week and charge you 4,400 to use it via points. Sounds like soemthing is wrong with the calculations.

Larry N.
Jun 18, 2011

I own a premium week at Newport Coast Villas. Last year I was able to trade that week at NCV (through Interval) for a full week at Marriott Maui Ocean Club. When I went into Destinations, I was given 3475 points for my NCV week. To get a full week at Maui will take about 4600 points (one and a half weeks deposited from NCV, or a year and 1/2 worth of weeks). Plus, I have found it next to impossible to book. At the same time Marriott charges 4775 points if you want to schedule the week I deposited at NCV. This sounds to me like a "lose-lose" situation for weeks owners. I would have a hard time recommending this program to others

Owen C.
Jun 22, 2011

We own 5 Marriott timeshare weeks and did elect to register our weeks for participation in the Destinations program. This program does provide some options and/or flexibility to existing owners but the trading values for deposited weeks are inadequate to enable an equivalent trade. Further, the pricing for Destination points is far beyond any potential value of these points. I do not believe we are any worse off by enrolling in the new program but I also do not attribute much value to such participation. We will not buy any Destination Points as they are really overpriced and command unreasonable maintenance fees.

Based upon my experience, ownership of a week at a resort "you will use" is the most important aspect of timeshare ownership. Were I to start over, I would either rent the weeks needed thru Redweek or buy weeks (I would use) from private parties. I would then enjoy the benefits of timeshare use at, I believe, the lowest out of pocket cost.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Jun 22, 2011 10:12 PM

Jun 22, 2011

I agree with the summary from "dennish144" Would like to add that that great use of destination points is if you wish to only use a 1 bedroom, or Sunday-Thursday, or an off season period. Otherwise it makes little sense.

J E.
Jun 28, 2011

We just returned from a one week vacation at the Marriott Palm Desert, Desert Springs Villas. We have a two-bedroom Ocean View Waiohai (Kauai) that we traded into Interval International. In the past we didn't have any trouble finding a week that matched our two bedroom Waiohai somewhere else. This time, it was impossible to get an equal match, and we had to settle on a studio.

Over the weekend, the resort was soooooooo crowded, there was no parking, there was no pool space, no umbrellas unless we arrived early to the pool ~ and they don't allow saving spots poolside ~, and the "loud and obnoxious neighbors" who moved in for the weekend left the main foyer door assigned to our area open day and night letting hundreds of beetles inside, and they had 25 friends partying in their unit with them blasting their techno music. The management at the resort was condescending to us when we called. Their initial answer was "sorry, they are exchangers, we can't evict them.". I asked the manager why he thought we would want to evict them.... we just wanted them to quiet down and be respectful. And follow the limit of allowed persons in a unit. I could go on and on ~ cockroach X 2 in our unit, just an unacceptable experience. Our unit originally was purchased at around $40,000 in Waiohai. I think it's pretty pathetic how I think the point system is changing things. These people were only there for three nights which makes me think they were using points, but either way, the result of the point system seems to be terrible for owners who have invested a great deal into their deeds, and who want to trade in and go other places. Ihope Marriott can fix this problem.

Tina M.
Jun 28, 2011

My prediction. It is a fact that Marriott (the corporation) is spinning off it's timeshare unit so it will become a separate company no longer owned by Marriott. The new timeshare managment will be thrilled with their new found freedom and begin to do some creative things. However, since the motivation will be to make money for themselves, current owners will likely not find much of the new direction pleasing. The major mistake Marriott made was doing away with deeded weeks. All they had to do was introduce the points program as an additional option (like for current deeded owners). But instead they opted to do away with deeded ownership in favor of only selling points. This approach ensures that the new properties will no longer be managed as separate entities as no one has a vested interest in a particular property. This removes the feeling of actual ownership of a property and also changes how people view and treat the property. I like the point system. But from an owner's perspective, doing away with new deeded ownership is a serious mistake.

J E.
Jul 01, 2011

Greetings all, Just a bit of information on the deadline to enroll legacy Marriott weeks in the new DC point system. Marriott has extended the deadline thru 30 Nov 2011. Link below is to Marriott site with announcement. Erman

http://www.marriottvacationclub.com/landing/email/insider/2011/june/generic/special-offers.html

Erman C.
Jul 19, 2011

For $1500K you can buy 1000 pts; for $20k you can buy 2000 pts. That doesn't buy much. When I bought my 2 bedroom/gold season/aruba/ocean view weeks, they were $20,000 each. And, I got full weeks. I can see where some of the value lies due to the increased flexibility, but in general I think this new tool stinks. One needs a vacation after planning for a vacation with this program. Marriott did not do us any favors. I really wonder how they are doing selling this pony.

Bodie
Jul 19, 2011

Melissav66, you make a good point (no pun intended) about the value of Marriott Destination points. I see that these points are now being offered for .53 per point on the resale market. I am scheduled to attend a Marriott sales presentation while at Hilton Head next September where 1,000 points will be offered to me for $10,000 (long story as to why I agreed to this 90 minute presentation but my wife does like free gifts).

So, Marriott is offering destination points for $10 a point that are offered on the resale market for .53 per point. I don't know yet what Marriott incentives one gives up by buying resale but the difference in price is shocking. I hope I am missing something here and if so I hope someone enlightens me.

Carvan A.

Last edited by carvana on Jul 19, 2011 06:16 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.