General Discussion

Why does Maintenance Fees increase?

Jan 31, 2009

'There are things that can be done but it takes a concerted effort on all owners. '

I think that is hitting the proverbial 'nail on the head'.

A few further points: 1. As far as credit ratings are concerned, I don't think they will hold as much water as they would during 'good times'. 2. HOA pressure is fine, but an effort should be made across resort boundaries. No one is going to fight for Timeshare owners as Timeshare owners (as a group) would fight for themselves. 3. I know people are afraid, and the resort owners are aware of that and use it to their benefit, but there are thousands of TS owners.

Lou L.
Feb 01, 2009

loul12 wrote:
'There are things that can be done but it takes a concerted effort on all owners. '

I think that is hitting the proverbial 'nail on the head'.

A few further points:

2. HOA pressure is fine, but an effort should be made across resort boundaries. No one is going to fight for Timeshare owners as Timeshare owners (as a group) would fight for themselves.

HOA board members are voted in by owners. They are supposed to represent owners, but it seems in many situations that the best interest of the resort comes first.

Any good HOA will have reserves in place for extra maintenance issues that pop up, but most charge 'special assessments' for that purpose.

Continually rising maintenance fees and special assessments are the main reasons we no longer own timeshares.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Feb 18, 2009 09:02 AM

Feb 02, 2009

You did the right thing, congratulations.

Lou L.
Feb 18, 2009

I totally agree, but I would go a little further. I would go beyond resort boundaries; concerted effort on the industry itself. People recently cut down on their use of gasoline, the price fell; coincidence? I owe money on my maintenance fees. I just negotiated a 30% cut on what I owe. If they can do that, and I have to believe it has happened to others, why did they bill the higher amount in the first place (surplus?). I have requested a financial statement from the resort (lots of luck). I am trying to contact other owners (without much success). Maybe if a few hundred request the statement, then maybe it will be produced and we will go from there..

Lou L.
Feb 18, 2009

I am wondering how the change to digital TV will effect MF and/or Special Assessments. Considering the number of TVs involved in a timeshare, that could be a lot, though many may have cable anyhow. They are going to flat screen, larger TVs in many resorts and I suppose they must if that is what more and more folks have at home. And do we want Wi Fi and/or free computer connections? Yup. And are "water parks" on site becoming popular? Yup to that too. Will Maintenance Fees increase? Guess. MD

Mary D.
Feb 19, 2009

adahiscout wrote:
I am wondering how the change to digital TV will effect MF and/or Special Assessments. Considering the number of TVs involved in a timeshare, that could be a lot, though many may have cable anyhow. They are going to flat screen, larger TVs in many resorts and I suppose they must if that is what more and more folks have at home. And do we want Wi Fi and/or free computer connections? Yup. And are "water parks" on site becoming popular? Yup to that too. Will Maintenance Fees increase? Guess. MD

I would imagine most resorts are on cable or direct tv which wouldn't affect maintenance fees.

R P.
Feb 19, 2009

Many resorts are pretty remote for the cable company to cover. I've seen a number of places recently that have gone to larger flat screen TVs.

Mary D.
Feb 20, 2009

adahiscout wrote:
Many resorts are pretty remote for the cable company to cover. I've seen a number of places recently that have gone to larger flat screen TVs.
When I bought my NH resort in the mid-90's, all we could get were a few network stations. Eventually, they installed cable and charged all guests $5.00/week/unit to offset the cost. After all these years they still charge the fee, though now it's up to $7.00 or so. I always wonder why they don't just add it to the MF.

Mike N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.