Report Abuse - 92534

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

Before I throw in my .02 cents, let me tell you that this site is usually extremely negative and one sided so my suggestion to you would be to go to tug2.net and go to the Marriott Vacation Club forumand ask this very same question and you’ll get a more balanced and informed view. That being said, I love my Marriott timeshares. I have found the resorts to be well maintained, in good locations and accessible. I like having room to stretch with my kids and being able to cook meals or barbecue if I so desire. I own three 2 bedroom lockoff units that I can turn into nearly 14,000 points. If I keep the units in weeks, I can turn the units into 6 weeks instead of 3 weeks because lock off units are two units separated by a door. Thus, you can stay one week on the one bedroom side and then one week on the studio side. With points, it’s possible to stretch vacation time even further with Destination Escapes which is when Marriott offers specific resorts for hugely discounted points. Also, if you make reservations at 60 days out if you’re at the Presidential and Chairman levels you’re again using heavily discounted points. If want a smaller unit than a two bedroom, you can do. If you buy weeks resale and use weeks only. You come out way ahead because you don’t have the initial outlay. However, if you want to use points you will have to pay a lot of money to get enough points to get you to the locations you desire. Marriott sometimes has packages that you can buy that can be bought cheaper than resale prices. What many like is more comfortable accommodations. Maintenance fees do go up, but so does everything else. I own high demand resorts that are reasonable compared to what the retail prices are. I can rent them for more than what I pay in maintenance fees too. Some people feel they aren’t worth it, but there are those like me who take good advantage of them and find great benefit.