Report Abuse - 92528

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

My family is a big fan of the Marriott hotel brand and stay exclusively with them on our vacations in the US. Recently I started looking into their timeshares to understand the value and to see if I am really missing anything. Partly my interest was stirred due to the persistent calls/e-mails/letters that I get from Marriott/Hilton/Disney regarding their timeshares. However, after going through several forums including this one, it seems to me that the expense and headache of owning a timeshare far outweigh the benefits. I also see many people are selling their deeded timeshares for $1 cause they are desperate to get it off their hands. Now with this new point system, Marriott seems to have devalued their program for existing owners, and there is no telling how much further devaluation is going to happen in the coming years for new owners. Plus they could raise the maintenance and there is nothing you can do about it. For the Marriott folks who still love their timeshare several years after purchase, what exactly do you see in it over simply renting a timeshare or even staying in a hotel? Also, why did you choose Marriott over other reputable brands like Hilton or Disney?