Report Abuse

Re: Class Action Against Diamond Resorts?

[Q=brendag239] In response to the question, yes I'm over 60, retired . Bought the time share last Jan.2016 in Vegas. Then was sold a bill of goods in April 2016 in Williamsburg ,Va. I am from Conn. Thanks for listening[/Q]@Brenda I AM NOT A LAWYER AND NOTHING I SAY CAN BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE. I am a consumer activist and have been investigating DRI for 18 months. You will see conflicting advice on these forums. I suggest you check the credibility of any advice by asking the adviser for the factual basis of his advice. There is a myth in all of the timeshare forums (it was likely planted and perpetuated by the developers themselves) that a timeshare buyer has no practical legal recourse. People do get refunds but when they do they have to sign a non-disclosure clause. As a result, there are no public reports of their success and the myth lives on. Convinced by strangers on the internet that there is no other way out, tens of thousands of people have allegedly surrendered their memberships. A surrender is the worst possible outcome for the buyer and should only be considered as a last resort. I believe you will be able to cancel with a refund. Here is just part of your CT Timeshare Act. It may help you get a better idea of your rights. http://law.justia.com/codes/connecticut/2013/title-42/chapter-734b/section-42-103tt It is my opinion that timeshare victims should exercise their rights and get their money back. I realize most people don't know how to assert their rights and I am happy to help where I can. I think the first step is to write DRI a demand letter, explaining why you are entitled to cancel and informing them that you will retain an attorney if necessary. A demand letter that is not on a law firm's letterhead has little chance of being taken seriously, but it's worth a try. If your letter succeeds, you don't have to share any of your refund with an attorney. WINNING! Google "how to write a demand letter". If your letter doesn't work, the next step is to find an attorney that is well versed in timeshare and/or consumer law to represent you on a contingency basis. Finding the right attorney can be challenging, but if you know what to look for you will find one. If you google "timeshare attorney" you are going to see numerous firms that want to obtain a surrender for you. Sometimes you have to read a website very carefully to see that they are pushing surrenders. I would avoid any firm that seems to push surrenders. I can tell you more about how to find the right attorney if it becomes necessary. I suggest you take it one step at a time and prepare a demand letter. The sooner you contact DRI and let them know you intend to cancel, the better it will be for you. Feel free to ask more questions. Finally, it is extremely important to report improper business practices to the appropriate government agencies. In your case it would be the attorneys general of Nevada and Virginia. You will be forced to document the facts of your case for your demand letter anyway, it would be simple to send copies of the letter to the appropriate authorities. The higher the number of complaints that are filed, the harder it is for the TS industry to persuade the government to look the other way. The appalling practices that have gone on for decades, will continue unabated until the volume of complaints reaches a level that cannot be ignored.