Report Abuse - 81054

Re: Class Action Against Diamond Resorts?

@Justin: There is no question that if you are determined to do a surrender you should do it yourself. However in my opinion, very few people if any, should GIVE back their points. FWIW, I've spoken to quite a few people that got prices from surrender companies/attorneys. It appears to me, they try to charge each client an amount equal to two years worth of assessment fees. For example: Mary owns 5,000 points, all payments are up to date, and her assessments are $1,000 a year. She will be charged $2,000 for her surrender. In contrast Ann owns 30,000 points, all payments are up to date, and her assessments are $5,000 a year. For some reason Ann will be charged $10,000 for a surrender. This is one sweet deal for the individual brokering the surrender. He gets paid thousands of dollars for sending an application to a developer. His work on the two example cases will be the same. His prices are not related to the amount of work he has to do, his prices are fixed according to what he thinks a consumer will pay. Most people expect to live at least two more years, so they think they are going to lose two years worth of assessment fees whether they pay it to DRI or to the broker. The difference is, if they pay it to broker after two years they are out. It makes economic sense to someone that thinks a surrender is the only way out and who doesn't realize he can do the surrender himself, to pay the broker's fee. Surrender brokers, whether attorneys or not, are definitely bottom feeders. I consider them a thinly disguised arm of the TS developers. They move in to squeeze the last possible dime out of people that are crying uncle. I would not call a legitimate, competent attorney a bottom feeder. Attorneys are the people that enforce our civil laws. It is only the fear of being sued that keeps businesses partly honest. Can you even imagine what the world would be like if we didn't have attorneys ready to hold people and businesses accountable for civil wrongs? I don't think the honor system would work very well for most of us.