Ask RedWeek

Security deposit

May 13, 2024

I have a booking request and forgot to indicate a security deposit on my listing. I have direct payment set up to me from the renterCan I add the security amount at payment? JS

Joan S.
May 14, 2024

joans309 wrote:
I have a booking request and forgot to indicate a security deposit on my listing. I have direct payment set up to me from the renterCan I add the security amount at payment? JS

1. You cannot just add a contract term (i.e., a new cost) after acceptance of the previously identified contract terms by the renter. There must be advance knowledge and mutual agreement. Both parties must know and agree to all contract terms in a valid contract — you can’t just unilaterally make “surprise” cost additions of your own later when executing a contract.

2. Most resorts will require a credit card swipe just as a damage pre-authorization from renters once the renters are on site and checking in. Personally, as a prospective renter, I would decline an attempt by an owner to collect their own separate “security deposit”. I would just say “no thank you” and look for a different rental — but it’s your choice and decision how to now handle your previously unmentioned new charge.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 15, 2024 04:11 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.